Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother bought a used x-fire 500 , ever since he got the sled it has a low end bog , we sent the box back to cat and had it up dated.. but still the low end bog , we want to look for the problem but where it a good place to start, any body has the same problem with there 500,

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds stupid but check plugs, my buddy bought a crossfire off somebody and it had a low end bog we checked the plugs and they were wrong, put in the right plugs and she ripped, Also could be a fuel issue, or maybe even clutching? not to sure tho.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 09 xfire 5 and I had a oil leak when stored. The dealer replaced the oil pump and he thinks it was always leaking oil on the check valve espically when sitting and hopefully this will fix the bogyness but I an not convinced. I will let you know when I get a run.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys that low end bog can be a pain when try yo ride, also when it get warmer out side it gets worst, can a tps be going bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had that code shortly after I got my sled. Went for a run one night early last season and almost didn't get back. Changed plugs and all was good only ocasionally acting up. Brought it to the dealer and they said no code stored. Only had a couple epsodes the rest of the season, usually when I need the low end to get out and not dig a hole! The dealer says the oil pump should fix it! I sure hope so!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, my 2007 XF5 was bought new in December '06. It always had what I would discribe as a hesitation, but short of a bog. It would just feel a little "flat" off the line. However, if the sled was putt putted too much, it would load up and truely bog. A couple burst of full throttle would clear it. This was before the reflash. More on that bellow.

The oil pump was set way too rich. It averaged 25:1 mixture. After leaning the oil, the plugs were better and the sled smoked less. Otherwise, it run the same at 50:1. I have had two occations were oil puddled under the sled. Once was just sitting in the garage floor. A few tablespoons on the floor and a few more in the pan. The other time, maybe a cup was on the floor of the trailer. I never found were it came from. Mildly disturbing. Could be oil pump?

I had the reflash done right after the last snow melted this spring. I took the sled out in the grass on a frosty morning to test it. While warming it up, I'm thinking "WOW...this is how it should have run from day one. Really snappy!". Then the engine started cutting out and even died. Every time the engine warms up, it does that now. At this point, the sled isn't even safe to ride. I have yet to take it back to the dealer, who wants to test it in cold weather. It shows no codes and won't act up on a track stand. I was told the reflash could have been corrupted/incomplete if there was any interuption in the download of the updates. I recall the dealer had a bad connection when the box was hooked to the computer. Hopefully a re-reflash will fix the problem completely.

Good luck with your sleds!

-Les in MI.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would also check the belt deflection on your sled. This is a common problem with a low end bog on sleds. The proper deflection should be 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches.

Hope this helps Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife has a xfire 5 2007 and we have had the same problem with oil puddled under the sled when leaning on its side
the sled was pretty rich on oil, about 25:1 mixture, a real smoker. My dealer told me that the enigine will spit oil back into the air intake when it's to rich and it would drain out when leaning the sled.
I have turned down the oil pump one turn now, but I think I have to do more later but I want to be sure first.
I have also done the latest reflash and put a shift assist in the driven clutch, I have made a shorter test run and I can say that the low end is better now. Hard to tell what made biggest improvement but I think it was the shift assist, have to check the belt deflection also.

·
Registered
703 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (forreboy @ Nov 21 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My wife has a xfire 5 2007 and we have had the same problem with oil puddled under the sled when leaning on its side
the sled was pretty rich on oil, about 25:1 mixture, a real smoker. My dealer told me that the enigine will spit oil back into the air intake when it's to rich and it would drain out when leaning the sled.
I have turned down the oil pump one turn now, but I think I have to do more later but I want to be sure first.
I have also done the latest reflash and put a shift assist in the driven clutch, I have made a shorter test run and I can say that the low end is better now. Hard to tell what made biggest improvement but I think it was the shift assist, have to check the belt deflection also.[/b]
X2... Easiest way to set deflection is to tighten the sheaves until you get a slight belt cherp at idle, then back it out slightly (I am not sure if your sled uses shims or deflection adjuster). Belt deflection will be: If you raise the back of the sled off the ground while the sled is at idle, the track should just want to start to rotate, but you dont want the sled to move when you set it down. I cant stand the any belt cherp, so i usually take back it off just a little more.

Second thing to check would be track tension. A tight track is never good. One of the main performance robbing characteristics is an improper track tension and something most dont even think about

1 - 9 of 9 Posts