Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hatfield McCoy Trails are open 365 days a year. Our weather has been mild, so a mid-winter trip is not out of the question for those of you with cabin fever!

If you are looking for a top notch place to vacation, Hatfield McCoy Trails is the place for you. Come visit the place where wild and wonderful mountains have combined with trails heaven to create the nationally recognized Hatfield-McCoy Trails. The trails are located in the rich mountains of Appalachia in southern West Virginia. Deep valleys mixed with tight and twisting trails tempt the daring soul to push further. West Virginia is known as “Almost Heaven” and it’s no coincidence the Hatfield-McCoy Trails have become known as “TrailsHeaven.” Southern hospitality combines with over 500 miles of trails (more in progress), to form life-long memories and create an experience you will want to repeat again and again.

For those who want to plan a Spring, Summer, or even Fall trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trails, now is the time to start planning. Hatfield McCoy is a popular destination for ATVers and dirt bikers. As it has grown in popularity, the need to start planning now is crucial. Hatfield-McCoy Trail System totals over 500 miles of off-road trails in four counties. Each of its five trail systems are open to ATV's, Dirt Bikes, and select Utility Vehicles (UTVs). Many of the trail systems also offer community connecting trails that allow visitors to access “ATV friendly towns” to experience the charm of southern West Virginia. Hatfield McCoy is really Trailsheaven!!

The Hatfield-McCoy Trails are composed of the following five individual trail systems: Browning Fork Trail System, Buffalo Mountain Trail System, Dingess Rum Trail System, Little Coal River Trail System, and the Pinnacle Creek Trail System.

A new trail close to the Pinnacle Creek Trail is opening soon!! It will actually connect with the Pinnacle Creek Trail. It will also be a trail similar to Pinnacle Creek. The Pinnacle Creek Trail is known for its breathtaking scenic views. The riding is a little more laid back than some of the other trails. It is family oriented.

The most popular trail is the Browning Fork Trail. This trail is very versatile!! The Browning Fork Trail System ia located between the towns of Man and Gilbert. It consists of approximately 120 miles of trail. The Browning Fork Trail trailhead is Rockhouse, located just outside the town of Man. Browning Fork has the largest total mileage of each of the five Hatfield-McCoy Trail Systems and offers a wide variety of trails for all difficulty levels. The breakdown in trail percentage for this trail system is as follows: 49% are green trails (easiest), 23% are blue trails (more difficult), 21% are black trails (most difficult), and 7% are orange trails (single track only). This trail system has direct access to the towns of Man and Gilbert, WV. Each of these towns offer fuel, full service food, and lodging accommodations. Southern hospitality is plentiful in the towns of Gilbert and Man!

The Dingess Rum Trail System located near the town of Logan consists of approximately 105 total miles of trail. The Dingess Rum Trail has one trailhead-- Bearwallow. Dingess Rum is a large trail system. It is commonly known for its difficult single track--13% are orange trails (single track only).

The Buffalo Mountain Trail System located between Williamson, Delbarton, and Matewan, West Virginia. It consists of approximately 95 total miles of trail. The Buffalo Mountain Trail System has two trailhead/ranger stations, the Rev. Compton Park Trailhead located just outside Williamson and the Matewan Trailhead located in historic Matewan.

The Little Coal River Trail system located just off Route 119, near Danville and Madison consists of approximately 65 total miles of trail. The Little Coal River Trail has one trailhead called Waterways. Little Coal is most commonly known for its high percentage of green or easiest level trails.

Hatfield McCoy is Trailsheaven. It has riding from mild to wild. Join the fun!! Start planning your trip now.

I have lived most of my life in southern WV. If you need additional information, I am sure that I can help you. Since my business, Browning Fork Trailhouse, is located right off the Browning Fork Trail, I consider myself especially knowledgeable on this trail!!

If you need assistance with your trip, do not hesitate to contact me!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The riding permit would be $37.00. For lodging, it varies. If you have a few people coming with you, the price of lodging is relatively cheap. For example, you might pay 100.00-120.00 per night for six people to stay in a three bedroom place. That averages to about $20.00 per person. It costs almost that much to camp. You can get places that sleep less or more people. If you could give me a better idea of your party size, I could give you a better estimate. I would be happy to help you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
when will we be able to see a map of the new trail at the Pinnacle Creek Trail ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been told from the folks at HM Trail Authority that the trail will open soon. It is not going to have as many miles as originally hoped. Connecting to the Pinnacle Creek Trail? That is now questionable too due to a land owner not signing the agreement.

But not sure when the maps will be available!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is DEFINITELY a trip worthwhile!

I haven't been there in the winter, but been tempted. Can't get there this winter- might be able to ride again before summer's over, though. Hope to still get there then.

If you make only one trip a year, or haven't yet made a trip with your quad...this is the place to go!

-DiskDoctr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DCFDCAT @ Mar 2 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Marty & Family -

Those DCFD boys are coming back. We'll see ya in Mid April.

We can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:[/b]
I hope you guys had a great time!! Also ask Gordo to send me the bagpipe pictures taken at
Daniel's school when he has time.

Tell everyone to take care and stay safe!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts