Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post to the site, hoping I can get a little help. I've got a 2007 650 XT Prowler with only 270 miles that sat and was not started for over 2.5 years, stored in a garage the entire time. I'm trying to get it running again and am having a hard time getting it to idle. All the old fuel was drained and replaced. All jets are stock. New spark plug. I have disassembled and cleaned the carb a half dozen times now with the same result. It will fire up and idle for roughly 30 seconds, and then it will die. I've tried adjusting the PMS screw as well as the idle adjustment knob with the same results. It will run fine if I throttle it, but as soon as it goes back down to idle it dies. Tearing the carb off and on is starting to get really old. Is there something else I should be looking at? This bike ran perfectly before it was parked. It makes me believe something in the carb is gummed up but I truly believe I am cleaning it thoroughly. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer and have them take a shot at it. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked the boot between the carb and the intake and don't see any apparent holes or tears. I looked closely at the connection with the vacuum hose as well. I've checked all hoses related to the carb and fuel system and do not see any issues there either. I've also checked the filter in the fuel tank, it was fine.

This is really starting to get frustrating. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I've checked the boot between the carb and the intake and don't see any apparent holes or tears. I looked closely at the connection with the vacuum hose as well. I've checked all hoses related to the carb and fuel system and do not see any issues there either. I've also checked the filter in the fuel tank, it was fine.

This is really starting to get frustrating. Thanks for the help.
The only issue I can think of is your electric choke,I had to replace two of them before I switched to a different carb,try taking out your choke and put your thumb over the hole and try that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I previously tried that with the choke, and when I leave the choke out with the hole open it will idle. As soon as I place my thumb over the hole I get the same result and it idles extremely rough or just dies. Thank you for the help.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I previously tried that with the choke, and when I leave the choke out with the hole open it will idle. As soon as I place my thumb over the hole I get the same result and it idles extremely rough or just dies. Thank you for the help.
When my choke went bad it wouldn't even start,the I took the choke out and just feathered my thumb over the choke hole then it would start,I still think it's your choke,I could be wrong.If your interested I have a factory carb for sale with only 500 miles on it,with a new electric choke,with the factory jetting and a bunch of spare ones,looks like new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts