Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I took a peek through the site and also googled my problems and didn't really come across the answer. I will be bringing it In before next season to be serviced but in the mean time I'm still interested in What the problem could be. So this is what happened;

I was previously riding in the mountains prob about a month prior since my last ride, and the sled was sitting in the trailer( was kinda damp a bit don't know if that could be of importance) so we unloaded the sleds, let it run for a few minutes before we took off, was running a little boggy on the way to get gas( Alberta beach, prob 5 minute ride) shut my sled off at the gas station went to fill up but they only have 87 octane. I only run 91 octane ethanol free gas. So went to start up the sled to goto the other gas station but it wouldnt start. It was burpin and fartin so I figured I fouled a plug. Changed all 4 spark plugs( brand new) and it fired right up. Made it about halfway across the lake and it was running fine then I couldn't get over 5000rpm and it was running decent under that but it slowly went less and less rpms until it quit. Tried to start It again but it was burpin and farting again and wouldnt stay running. So we towed it home and sure enough plugs were soaked again. Brought it home, sat in the trailer for a week, pulled it out again today and stuck it in my dads garage to try to thaw it out( maybe some water in my injectors or something) pulled the plugs to make sure they all were getting spark, and they all had excellent spark, but still keeps burpin and farting and just won't stay running. Sometimes 5 seconds sometimes 15 but never for long. Now I don't know if the injectors could be froze open or something, or a ECU problem or even mapping or something? I noticed today my check engine light was coming on so I kind of have a feeling it's more of a problem than it just being frozen. I've been riding her for three seasons and she hasn't let me down, and I'm hoping its not a ring or something. My dads 06 rmk 900 was doing something similar when he took out a piston. It sounded like it was running on both cylinders, so any input would be good.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
What CEL code are you getting?

FYI, that sled will run BETTER on 87 than 91 in general... 91 is enough octane to cost you low end performance. They're made for 87 at 0 elevation.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
People make more $$ off 91... so most are happy to keep you running it.

Running higher octane runs the motor cooler than it's intended, which makes for a slower, less clean burn... making less power.

Octane only makes power in a motor intended to run higher octane. You make the most power from fuel that's just over what you need to prevent det.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
if you're going to get a new sensor, check this out:

Pulled this from another thread by F-ast.

The new 2011 GM Diesel engines use an exhaust temp sensor that looked virtually identical to the Cat one. I spoke to a few diesel techs and received the diagnostic info and temp: resistance chart.

It was tricky to to get this info as I asked several places without much luck. Not to name names, but thanks to the tech that got me what I needed.

The only thing that you have to go is either change the connector to cut and solder the pig tails together.

Specs:

Cat prob: P/N 0630-229

2011 Chev Diesel prob: P/N 12636945 (replaced by 12643246)

I know a few guys running these, they work great, no reason to pay $100 for a cat one when you can get a $25 one from GM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts