Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got a little overly excited with some new snow tonight. Flying through the yard turning and hit a patch of ice, tipped sled on its side. After that the thing ran like hell. Didn't want to go, sputtered etc. Brought it in, shut if off, looked everything over and its all fine. Restarted and seemed ok, but pulled up to my neighbor and the thing stalled. Tried a few times to start it, had to give it a lil gas to get it going. Is this part of some PITA safety feature, or could it have been the first rich mix tank crapping up the plugs?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davzkny1 @ Jan 16 2007, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, got a little overly excited with some new snow tonight. Flying through the yard turning and hit a patch of ice, tipped sled on its side. After that the thing ran like hell. Didn't want to go, sputtered etc. Brought it in, shut if off, looked everything over and its all fine. Restarted and seemed ok, but pulled up to my neighbor and the thing stalled. Tried a few times to start it, had to give it a lil gas to get it going. Is this part of some PITA safety feature, or could it have been the first rich mix tank crapping up the plugs?[/b]
My F6 also ran ruff when putting around the yard its first few miles.
Then I got out on a few straight aways and got to clean it out a bit and it really runs strong now.
I think you are probably right, that extra oil in the tank, and just driving around the yard may have loaded it up.
See if you can find a spot where you can gas it for a few short bursts, might help clean it out.
Try a couple new plugs if its still not right.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I opened it up fine out in the back field. Seemed like after I shut it off for a few minutes and was idleing around 3grand, but it was better when I restarted it. Kept hearing a noise that almost sound like a small electric motor or something. Went away after i started it back up, lifted the rear and ran it then pulled it back outside. I got out back for a bit, and when i pulled up to my neighbor and stopped it stalled. Wouldn't start til I hit the gas a lil bit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You think you got an air lock in your cooling system? You getting any warning lights? Could you have gotten an air lock in your oil line? I know for the F7's there is a warning stating never to tilt them on their side or they will get an air lock in their cooling systems, I wonder if it is the same as the new F series....

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davzkny1 @ Jan 17 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No warning lights. Wrench flashed once quick , but hasn't come back on. I zipped it around a bit tonight, and same thing happened - pulled up to the shop to put it away and it didn't want to idle, just died.[/b]
did you fill the gas tank when you picked it up because the dealer most likely put 4 ounces of oil in your tank like they are surpose to and you didn,t fill it up its all oil you are trying to burn

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I didn't, but they didn't tell me they dumped oil in. I'll have to ask, and pull the plugs and see how gooey they are. I called them today and they said to check the tension on the throttle cable, tighten it up if a little loose. I took it back out last night, and was find til I pulled up to my shop and then it stalled again, but started with a lil touch of the throttle.

Is that the new apv oil that smells like melting plastic? I looked all over trying to find something melting, but no luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know it does smell a little different with its "new fresh scent", so its proly not your sled melting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, kinda figured it was the 'new' smell burning off.

I still can't figure out why it is running so odd. Topped the tank off with gas, and thought it was ok. Runs great 99% of the time, just acts up when I slow down. It either wants to die, or idles around 3 grand. I hate to have to take it to the dealer now that we finally some snow to ride. Don't want to be without it if I don't have to. Didn't try to tighten the throttle cable yet, will do it in the morning.

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davzkny1 @ Jan 19 2007, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah, kinda figured it was the 'new' smell burning off.

I still can't figure out why it is running so odd. Topped the tank off with gas, and thought it was ok. Runs great 99% of the time, just acts up when I slow down. It either wants to die, or idles around 3 grand. I hate to have to take it to the dealer now that we finally some snow to ride. Don't want to be without it if I don't have to. Didn't try to tighten the throttle cable yet, will do it in the morning.[/b]
Go 2 ur dealer..Get that engine on a scanner ASAP.When u saw that wrench icon ..it flashed an error.. now in memory. Adjusted the ECU accordingly.Prob. still may exist.

....$AVE yourself a major meltdown ( pun intented)..... you may have a dangerous intermintent vacumn leak/fuel issue.

·
Administrator
2,580 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bodd @ Jan 20 2007, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Go 2 ur dealer..Get that engine on a scanner ASAP.When u saw that wrench icon ..it flashed an error.. now in memory. Adjusted the ECU accordingly.Prob. still may exist.

....$AVE yourself a major meltdown ( pun intented)..... you may have a dangerous intermintent vacumn leak/fuel issue.[/b]
Dont listen to this, It is completly wrong, and couldn't be further from the truth. If you dont know what you are talking about keep your thoughts to yourself.

The wrench icon is for the CCU and has nothing to do with the engine, or ECU. Unless the light is on all the time there is no problem, and codes are not stored.

Make sure that you have about 1/8" free play in the throttle lever, as there is a safty switch that kills the engine if there is no tension on the throttle lever, and the throttle blades are not completly closed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figures, dealer told me I could tighten it a little. Checked it this morning and its tight - very little play. Do you think it could be holding them open a little. Doesn't happen all the time, its intermittent. Rode 40 miles this morning and was occasional - but only when slowing or stopping. Never when riding along.
Question regarding that, when I looked at it, the post that the adjustable rod connects to on the throttle bodies has a hole in in. Is that for a clip or pin to keep that from coming off? Was going to put one in there, but figured I better check with someone first.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that was a bad idea, only runs well up to about 20 mph with that unplugged, surged at idle, and seems to runs worse now. either wants to idle around 3-4000 rpms, or stalls. the surging got so bad tonight i had to go home. it also started backfiring. dealer said to tighten the throttle cable a little, but it has no play in it. gonna loosen it a little, as it may not be allowing the blades to close all the way. also, if you push back on the throttle pivot, it pulls on the cable and revs it up. I never buy stuff first year out, and I'm really ready to kick myself hard for doing it with this sled. I love the sled when I'm riding, but it makes tight trails in woods extremely difficult. moving 20mph and up runs fine. I am just baffled.

I wish I could find the quick fix for it. Hate to have it sit at the dealer for days on end now that I finally have some snow to play in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, got it fixed today. I have bought most of my sleds at this one dealer, but our club has a dealer that is a sponsor. so this time around I went to them, and they were about $200 cheaper. setup on the machine sucked among other service issues. clip for belt guard broke, told me I could wait and then when i got there I had to leave the sled for several days. for 4 rivets, c'mon. another problem caused them to replace the gas tank, which I think may have been the start of my problems.
Long story short, throttle cable wasn't routed right, and inside the throttle assembly right on the handlebar the cable came undone causing it to hit the safety switch and keep cutting power to the motor. explaining why it worked ok when I was in the throttle, and not when I let off. I called my usual dealer (had to suck up going and telling them I bought it elsewhere), they told me to bring it in so I ran home and dropped it off to them. A little razzing, but no attitude at all was given to me(which I probably deserve). I resigned to the idea that I would be riding around tonight on my sons 93 polaris 340. They called within about 2-3 hours and told me to come get it, was all set!! Thanks to the guys at Brodners in Rochester, NY for getting right on it with no appointment, fixing the problem, and having it back to me in the same day!!!
Sending those guys pizza and wings for lunch tomorrow. :D

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Thanks to the guys at Brodners in Rochester, NY for getting right on it with no appointment, fixing the problem, and having it back to me in the same day!!!
Sending those guys pizza and wings for lunch tomorrow. :D
[/quote]

Glad it worked out for you!

Dave in service and the guy's at Brodners are the best service group I have ever dealt with, no bad attitudes and very honest. thumbguy

This is my second cat I bought from them and will be going back again the next time....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts