Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Figured I would share this fix I discovered last summer. I bought my bike used with low miles and ever since I got it I had gauge issues. The gas gauge was always reading empty, and eventually I lost the guage all together. I priced out a new cluster and it was more then I wished to spend to figured I'd rip it apart and see what I could find. Not being able to find any wiring problems I disassembled the cluster down to the mother board. There's a black ecu on the back of the board and I noticed corrosion all around the outputs. I soaked the board in rubbing alcohol and took a small soft bristle brush and carefully cleaned all the circuit board. I allowed it to air dry and re assembled. Sure enough full cluster function returned and even the gas guage is working properly! Hopefully this comes in handy for somebody else!

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
Good job!! Electrical contact cleaner works good as well.

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
It is now a stickie.

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there...
Just wondering.... Is the pod a sealed unit? (would expect due to moisture, etc).
If it is a sealed unit, how did you get it apart/re-seal.

Read the post/link noted, but not sure if that was for a Cat Pod.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
Yes that was for a cat ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another thing you can do after you clean up a circuit board like this, spray it with conformal coating. It is a an electrical sealant that protects boards from moisture, and the elements. Make sure you cover the electrical connectors when you do this, (the places the wires plug into).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just happen to loose my display yesterday on my 09 thunder-cat 1000, so i took my apart and found the mother board was already covered in epoxy or something similar, i notice yours was an 08 and was wondering if this was something arctic cat did or maybe the first owner of this bike did? Not sure you can tell in the picture, but the mother board too is coated in epoxy!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
New to this display,,,,,,I can get miles, gears ie N,P F,R, 4wd, 2wd rpm, mph,,,,what else in on display? Any temp or warning lights? 06 650 Vtwin

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
New to this display,,,,,,I can get miles, gears ie N,P F,R, 4wd, 2wd rpm, mph,,,,what else in on display? Any temp or warning lights? 06 650 Vtwin

You would be better off starting a new thread with your own. questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing to check before writing off a "faulty" display...went for ride ladt weekend, display worked perfect, parked it in the dry, heated garage. Went to ride tonite, backlight would come on, but that was it...no numbers, fuel guage etc.....started checking price of a used display...ouch...so, started reading hear, and on a whim checked wiring diagram....turns out the actual numbers etc on display are on same fuse as the lighter plug on the pod and the two pin accesory plug at the rear of the atv. New 15 amp fuse and display was back!!! Cheapest repair yet on this quad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts