Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone knows what the stock exhaust sound level (decibels) is on a 2007 Arctic cat f5. Looking to put a mountain can on my sled but I'm afraid with the increased decibels of the can that I'm going to be over the rule.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm curious if anyone knows what the stock exhaust sound level (decibels) is on a 2007 Arctic cat f5. Looking to put a mountain can on my sled but I'm afraid with the increased decibels of the can that I'm going to be over the rule.
The law in Wisconsin is Any increase in db level over the stock muffler is illegal. I am sure it will be louder. Depending on the state your riding in,and most are adopting this rule, you would be asking for it.

This is when the old race car, Sports Car Club of America, rule book paragraph comes in, "when in doubt,don't"

·
Super Moderator
8,494 Posts
By law they be lower than 88db. The f5 is super quiet compared to a stock muffler sno pro 500. A mountain can will make them obnoxious loud. I tried 3 different cans and they were all loud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The law in Wisconsin is Any increase in db level over the stock muffler is illegal. I am sure it will be louder. Depending on the state your riding in,and most are adopting this rule, you would be asking for it.

This is when the old race car, Sports Car Club of America, rule book paragraph comes in, "when in doubt,don't"
Ok, I'm riding in Michigan, but I know we haven't adopted that law yet, and I think your only allowed like 15db increase from a certain distance, and the can I'm looking at says how much it increases in db, but not sure how many db my snowmobile already is stock to know if I'll be within the law or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard in Michigan they spot check on the trail; open your hood, if it isn't a stock can you get cited. Not worth it in MHO.
Oh, I very rarely am on the trails, if I am it's not for very long and Im only on the trail for a little ways in wolverine at times, 99% of my riding is done on two tracks and state land around where I live

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Ok, I'm riding in Michigan, but I know we haven't adopted that law yet, and I think your only allowed like 15db increase from a certain distance, and the can I'm looking at says how much it increases in db, but not sure how many db my snowmobile already is stock to know if I'll be within the law or not.
Think I'm pretty sure it's any increase not 15db. At 15db thats "15 times" as loud as stock. So your illegal I would think I wouldn't chance it, and if your on state land then your really busted. Doesn't have to be on a trail

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
There is nothing worse than listening to the obnoxious noise of a can on a sled. As noted already, don’t. Trails get closed because of excessive noise all because someone thinks their sled sounds cool! Well it doesn’t. Listen to the other posters and keep it stock.

Reactions: Trp97

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think I'm pretty sure it's any increase not 15db. At 15db thats "15 times" as loud as stock. So your illegal I would think I wouldn't chance it, and if your on state land then your really busted. Doesn't have to be on a trail
Gotcha, makes sense
There is nothing worse than listening to the obnoxious noise of a can on a sled. As noted already, don’t. Trails get closed because of excessive noise all because someone thinks their sled sounds cool! Well it doesn’t. Listen to the other posters and keep it stock.
Yeah, I do have to say though certain sleds with the right cans can sound pretty good. But I'm never on trails so that wasn't my main concern, I do see where your coming from though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By law they be lower than 88db. The f5 is super quiet compared to a stock muffler sno pro 500. A mountain can will make them obnoxious loud. I tried 3 different cans and they were all loud
Did you have any way of testing it? Were you still within the law

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense

Yeah, I do have to say though certain sleds with the right cans can sound pretty good. But I'm never on trails so that wasn't my main concern, I do see where your coming from though.
well like I said you will be busted even if you not on trails. And whats more, it most likely will be slower due to losing horsepower and most cans loose power, not gain it. Bottom line, take your money elsewhere

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Did you have any way of testing it? Were you still within the law
a lab grade certified DB meter, but you can buy one and just do the test per your states requirements. It will be louder, and that will be case closed, your illegal, you don't even need a meter. Just don't do it and your fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well like I said you will be busted even if you not on trails. And whats more, it most likely will be slower due to losing horsepower and most cans loose power, not gain it. Bottom line, take your money elsewhere
Yeah, never heard of them taking horsepower away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a lab grade certified DB meter, but you can buy one and just do the test per your states requirements. It will be louder, and that will be case closed, your illegal, you don't even need a meter. Just don't do it and your fine.
Ok, yeah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts