Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just bought a brand new starter on my arctic cat 700 efi and tried to see if it would work and did not. We thought the starter was bad on it up until now. When I try to start it I can hear the starter trying to engage but it will not turn over. Think maybe the starting clutch maybe? Has anyone else had this problem? Let me know what you think! Thanks

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
Yes the starter clutch could be bad. Did you bench test the new starter?

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
It’s a bearing on the back of the flywheel that will only allow the engine to turn in one direction. It stops kickback that can break aluminum parts.
@Farrix just did his hopefully he chimes in.
you will need a flywheel puller and new gaskets.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,315 Posts
Yeah, buy the entire assembly (starter clutch and 1 way bearing) if you can 2007 700 EFI SHOULD be a suzuki engine you can probably source the starter clutch cheaper through a zuki dealership so long as you don't have an h1.

When my starter clutch junked out I had a metal on metal sounds once in awhile when i'd shut my machine off and my starter sounded horrendous when i'd disengage the button.

don't re-use your old starter clutch gear, if it's been getting kickbacks and having issue you don't want the risk if the gear exploding from microcracks when all you replaced was the bearing.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your responses!! Taking a look online at flywheel puller and not finding to many for the exact model. Was just curious where you bought yours or if they are pretty universal?

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,315 Posts
If you are looking at your flywheel you can measure the diameter of the threaded portion. I believe standard suzuki is 50MM 1.5RH puller but do NOT quote me on that.

If you truly have a 2007 700 EFI (not an H1) then a puller for a 700 king quad of that year will be the same. using that logic you should be able to find the puller for a 700KQ and it may and probably will list that it works on "arctic cat 700 EFI 06-08"

Be careful using the flywheel puller once you get it, do not put more than 50lbs of torque on it or you may mushroom the end of your crankshaft (hard lesson to learn, my solution was strange and oddly satisfying, but terrifying at the same time)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome thank you! Also having trouble finding the flywheel on arctic cat parts diagram. I have a picture here of the starter clutch and it looks like the flywheel is in the picture but I might be mistaken.
Organism Font Screenshot Art Circle

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,315 Posts
The flywheel will be shown under Magneto Assembly

The 1 way starter clutch bearing included in #1 on the fiche is the one you want to replace. you buy the bearing and gear all as one assembly, it isn't cheap. but you don't want to try and do them separately or you will regret it.

I did some research and it looks like a 50mm 1.5RH flywheel puller SHOULD be the one you need. if you have a dealership nearby you can sometimes pop by in the morning and case of beer rent their puller if you have a good relationship with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts