Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, if this has been asked before but I couldn't find my exact situation as my 2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI digital display started flashing about a week ago - the entire display is flashing on/off with about a 5 second on / 1 second off cycle, not just a "volt" or "EFI" warning.

After reading several threads, what I've tried:
-- Disconnected the battery overnight = no change
-- Disconnected the wiring harness from the digital display overnight = no change
-- Disconnected the battery and digital display overnight = no change
-- Check for pinched or exposed wiring (that best I could without taking the ATV apart) = didn't notice anything abnormal
-- Tested battery = 12.61 volts
-- Load tested the battery = 11.57 volts (failed so I replace the voltage regulator, which hopefully took care of another issue I was having as the ATV would cut out after ~20 minutes of riding or pushing snow this past winter)
-- Secondary load tested the battery = 14.72 volts but no change with the digital display

I'm assuming my digital display needs replaced but just thought I'd asked before ordering a new one.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Yes it is most likely the display. Do you have the test procedures from the manual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doorfx - thanks for the reply.

I looked through the Service Manual and didn't see a test procedure for the digital display, just the replacement instructions. Please advise how to test.

Thanks again -

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 700 Zuki-cat survival guide.

1. Battery good?
2. TPS good?
3. Check 3 yellow stator wires and connector - make sure they are not charcoal
4. Check diodes are in proper direction
5. Make sure you hear fuel pump when key is turned on.
6. Sounds strange but, with the quad idling (if it starts), reach up under the rear fender near the fuel filler. Grab the wire harnesss and flex it. If the quad dies, you have a rotted wire in the harness. If the machine doesn't start, a rotted wire can be verified by a massive voltage drop at the connector to the key swich.

FYI, number 6 is very common for the year. I have personally fixed two 700's with this problem. Rotted wire is located about 6-7 inches from the fuse block.

The red wire goes into an electro-fused bundle of 5 other red wires. It is shrink wrapped but, not water tight. Inside the shrink tubing is just one big green blob of rotted copper wires.

Another way to confirm rotted wire in harness:
Locate the connector from the key switch.

With key off, check battery voltage AT THIS CONNECTOR.
Now, turn key on. Does the voltage drop at this connector? It shouldn't as this wire goes directly to the fuse box main fuse.

If it drops, you have a rotted wire likely at the location above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mpj2201 - thank you for the detailed checklist.

1. The battery is good: reading around 12.6 volts before starting
2. TPS seems good: I checked the DC voltage and resistances as outlined in the service manual
3. The 3 yellow stator wires and connector: not charcoaled
4. Diodes are good: proper direction and all showing resistances
5. Yes, I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on.
6. Wiring: I didn't see any wiring issues under the rear fender near the fuel filler and pulling/flexing the wire harness didn't affect anything. And voltage is the same at the key switch connector as direct to the battery.

Any other ideas or is my LCD digital display bad? I would like to rule out all options before ordering a replacement gauge as I was told this part is NOT returnable once installed.

Also, is replacing the gauge just simply plug the replacement into the wiring harness or does it need some other configurations?

Thanks again -

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ACReady: Thanks for the reply -- I don't really know what that means so it might be time to take it into the repair shop.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The CDI module is basically the brains of your electrical system, it tells your bike spark plugs when to fire electrical spark at the correct moment. It will be plugged into your wiring harness mine was under the seat. Maybe someone can give a better explanation that is electrical savvy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The CDI module is basically the brains of your electrical system, it tells your bike spark plugs when to fire electrical spark at the correct moment. It will be plugged into your wiring harness mine was under the seat. Maybe someone can give a better explanation that is electrical savvy.
The basic CDI system is a trigger mechanism, coils, and a box, often black, with capacitors and other circuitry inside. The trigger tells the box to fire, the box determines when to fire which coil with the capacitors, and zap goes the spark plug, ad infinitum. In addition to dischargin’ those capacitors, the box may also influence your rev limit, timing advance, and other variables related to spark, but that’s it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
His machine is efi it does not have a capacitive discharge ignition. (Cdi)
It has an ECM (ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Correct^^^^

·
Registered
87 Posts
ECM is still like the brain of the bike it controls the fuel to air mixture for top performance and I think it controls the ignition timing could that be what is flashing his display on/off? Is there a test to determine if it is working properly, they are usually a fairly expensive item to replace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With this flashing of your display are you able to get this even started? I hope you let us all know what finally caused and what had to be replaced to solve this issue with your display flashing. My display went totally dark a few month's back, but I just unplugged it and replugged it and all is fine for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys -- I was slightly confused when reading through the repair manual between CDI and ECM with my EFI machine.

ACReady: Yep, it starts and runs fine but I haven't been running it much as I didn't know if I could do any harm running it without a functioning display.

When it flashing display issue started, I was doing some troubleshooting and discovered my ATV wasn't charging properly. I changed the voltage regulator and the ATV is now charging correctly -- BUT -- this didn't fix my LCD display.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Your battery may be bad. Low voltage will trigger the flashing

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are some really good used parts companies that do carry Arctic Cat parts. Do a search like used Arctic cat parts maybe find a cheaper display or if needed a used ECM. I have done this for mine with a lot of success. There is one near the Arctic Cat plant that carries a good supply of used parts for Arctic Cat. Most have a good return policy also. Saving money for the older model bikes is not a bad thing in my book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the insights -- I finally got around to talking to my local Arctic Cat dealer and the main service guy told me that he has never replaced an ECM in all his years of service. I said that the digital displays going bad is more common then Arctic Cat will admit. He told me to save my service money and just buy a replacement display and replace it myself. Hopefully, this solves my problem -- I'll report back when I receive the replacement display and get is hooked up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick follow-up: Yesterday, I received my replacement LCD display from Partszilla.com (FYI - great price but really slow shipping and handling) and got it install and everything is working properly. Guess the original gauge was the issue the entire time. Now I've got an '07 ATV with 0.0 miles!!! :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions and be safe.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
5 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing