Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so my cat seems like I have to really rev it up for it to start moving. It drives fine once it’s moving, can usually get it to 85km/h or so. Its good in the mud and water. So what I’ve done so far is, new wet clutch, machined housing, new belt, removed one way bearing, new pads, new wheel bearings all round. One thing to note is that the secondary clutch spring is yellow which Im not sure if it stock or not. Its also the suzuki motor so the secondary doesn’t have the adjustable helix thingy. I’m not looking for more power or top end just more responsive engagement. Thanks

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
What oil are you running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve read about these mods like drilling the sliders, removing 2 opposite sliders and the clutch shim one. I’ve got no problem doing any of those as long as it makes it more responsive. I’ll post a vid link tonight

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How many miles are on it? Check belt thickness, what rpm does clutch engage at? Secondary sprint won't affect engagement, wet clutch springs and primary rollers would.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its got 1400 kms, just changed the belt. I am a little low on oil would that cause the problem?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Definitely won't help. But not sure it would cause it. Wet clitch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have the stock colors of the wet clutch springs and the secondary clutch, im wondering if there is any aftermarket parts on this thing. Pretty sure my wet clutch springs were blue and my secondary is yellow for sure

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
It sounds like the wet clutch springs are 42# springs which increases engagement. Like Farrix says , what is the engagement rpm ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure no tach but I can try to link a video tomorrow. I was just going over my wet clutch shoes invoice and when I ordered the shoes they sent me the ones they said would fit. Now they do fit but the part number says for a 400. Mines a 500. You think that would have something to do with it? Like I said they looked exactly the same and they fit with no strugges but I don’t know if the thickness in fibres on the shoes are different or something like that. Again guys thanks for your help on this

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
You can buy a cheap tach that wraps around the plug wire.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
From what I've read the yellow spring sounds like it's probably a dalton and an after market spring. but that won't change your engagement. Secondary spring only changes shift-out and back-shift of the transmission based on load on the driveline, if there is alot of load the secondary stays shut longer keeping you in a lower gear etc. The yellow spring probably isn't stock but isn't the issue you are chasing.

Where did you order the wet clutch shoes from?

What doorfx said, you can buy a cheap tach for about $45 from most shops, I got mine through a dealers generic parts supplier, it looks exactly like this $7 one from wish.com now I wouldn't recommend getting anything from wish.com if you want it this year, but this is essentially what you are looking for, single wire, no batteries, fully sealed unit. Mine has been on my machine for 10 years now and not failed me yet, been under water, abused hit with stuff, pressure washed etc.

Here is a moose one from Revco

Running a carbureted machine I couldn't imagine not having a Tach and an easy adjust PMS screw anymore, -10c I turn my pms out a bit for more fuel, 0c I start closing it up a bit, +10c close it a bit more. I can make trail side adjustments based off tach RPM +/- 10 rpm. makes a big difference in getting the most out of my 400. the hardest part about getting dealing with it is all the first degree burns on my hand from the cylinder. I can even adjust for elevation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man, okay so we’ll eliminate that it could be the secondary. I ordered the wet clutch from cyclesrus and the brand is CRU. It was just the shoes so I reused the springs. I should mentiin that when I had the housing machined they took .020 off. I pretty sure I’m within specs, the guy at the machine shop said I cant do it again.
Next I ordered a tach, and let see if we can nail this down.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've done a bit of sniffing around on the wet clutch springs. sounds like the blue springs may not be original to the 500, I've read a few guys have them in the 700s and 1000s. If the springs are a bit stiffer on your wet clutch it could be delaying your engagement rpm. When it does finally engage does it engage hard and lurch?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Weird. Did you buy it recently?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed it last winter but It has been like that since i got the bike in 2019.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wonder what rpm your engagement is now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts