Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 arctic cat 500 automatic that I've had since it was new. It shredded its' first belt earlier this summer, and has destroyed 2 new ones since within days of installation. I made sure the belts were installed with the arrow pointed forward, made sure the vent ports were both clean, and watched the clutches engage in neutral with the cover off. What should I do next?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
What belts are you using?
Are your rollers flat spotted ?
Did you clean out the driven clutch ramps and springs?
Any gouges in the sheave faces?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dayco belts. I can't see any flat spots. I think I cleaned everything. I don't see any gouges. One thing, the second belt just had about three cogs worth of belt yanked off of the inside of the belt.
Thanks for responding!

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
OEM belts are pricey but you get what you pay for.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Are you installing them correctly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made sure the arrow pointed forward, opened the driven to let the belt fit on the primary, put the primary back on, put red loctite on the nut threads and rattled them with an impact. Then I rotated the driven clutch by hand until the belt was free. Did I miss anything? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Check your rollers and also check your movable clutch 1/2. It has a busing inside that can come loose over time and will cause belts to tear up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where would that bushing be, zrock? I can't see one on the blow up on Country Cat. I did notice that the inside face of the drive clutch is kind of loose on the shaft, the splines look a little sharp. My rollers seem to be good, I don't see any flat spots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where would that bushing be, zrock? I can't see one on the blow up on Country Cat. I did notice that the inside face of the drive clutch is kind of loose on the shaft, the splines look a little sharp. My rollers seem to be good, I don't see any flat spots.
Any thoughts on the inner face?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
the bushing on the movable side of clutch is non replaceable.. Trust me i looked for 2 weeks and could only find one in the UK and still could not verify it was right. Their should be slight movement on the shaft but no movement on the inside of your movable side of your primary. The bushing is pressed and glued in

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
I don’t think it’s the same on a 2007 Z

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it's okay now. I took the cover back off and the belt was fine. Can't see any belt hunks or anything, so I hope the last one tore up from the belt parts I didn't get cleaned out before. Thanks guys, I guess I cried wolf. Sure sounded like the belt was shredding. Could be because I have 2 knee replacements in my near future and didn't like that last mile hike home. Or, I'm just a puss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
4 Participants
moose19
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing