Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I recognize a few of the names from HCS. Anyways I need some help. I don't know which category a sabercat falls into so that's why I've posted it here.

Buddy of mine came down to ride and try out his new sabercat 500 lxi leftover 2006 sled. It had 0 miles on it. We rode about 8 miles and it shut off for no reason. So, he tried to restart it with the e start. It started smoking. Popped the hood and all of the wires were burned in two and the plastic cap that covers them was melted. If you were sitting on the sled it would be on the right side. The plastic cap looked like it was two pieces. The bottom had fallen 4" and exposed the bare wires. He must have hit a bump and caused the bare wire to ground on the exhaust or other metal. It had sparked and smoked a bit. We towed it 100' to the bottom of the trail. I called a buddy for some electrical tape. He brought some electrical tape and taped it up. It would not start. It was dead. The wire mass that melted was about 1/2" away from the fuel line. So my question is, could a small piece of wire been sticking out of the cap causing the initial short, which led to arching and the cap melting? Are there fuses that need to be checked or changed? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Do you think that this will cause a chain of events? Please help, my friend is completly frustrated and is supposed to be going to Tug Hill in two weeks. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thumperefi @ Jan 11 2007, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd have your buddy take it back to the dealer he bought it from. Must still be under warranty.[/b]
See that's the thing. He told me that it did not have a warranty. He is going to try today around noon to see if it is warranty or not.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I concur with Thumperefi,

It's possible that the problem goes further then what meets the eye.

One never really knows with an electrical short how severe the problem is until everything is gone over and tested.

If your dealer is on the ball, hopefully he will have a quick turn around time and get that sled back to you for your trip...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll find out more around lunch. Thanks for the replies. He bought it from a dealer in Niagara Falls.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A new F7 caught fire here last year, went up in flames and burned to the ground. Very sad, haha. Even if it's not under warranty, any dealer with sense would cover it for ya, only 8 miles man!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
same exact thing happened to my sled yesterday. 06 sabercat 500 lx holdover. 45 miles on sled. wife was riding it on lake yesterday and the sled just quit. tried starting and nothing. would not start .opened the cowling and discovered coil wire had come unplugged and was laying on starter cable. so every time we tried turning it over it would put juice into coil wire and arc out on starter cable. big mess under hood .melted wires everywhere. took back to dealer this morning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update... the dealer covered it. He said that there were a number of sleds that had the wiring covers loosen during the shipping process causing bare wires and rubbing. Check out your sleds so that you don't get stranded on the trail!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts