Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I will say that when I was hearing that “clicking” sound as the crank made revolution, I did look at the decompression assembly. Spring looked good and snapped back. Was very weak though. Expected it to be more. The assembly looked fine.

I also noticed that some of the fuel was coming out the front of the carb when turning over trying to get it started. If I put my hand over carb, it has a lot of suction. But it’s spitting some fuel out when cranking.

Wondering if I have too much back pressure in exhaust. Going to take off the muffler tomorrow and try to start. That fiber gasket rotated on me, but, thought I got it back in. Maybe it’s sitting sideways or broken.

Also the fuel line busted a couple different times at the carb and leaked. One of the times I unplugged the line from the carb to the fuel filter the fuel shot out. Hard. Almost squirted me in the eye.

It doesn’t make sense to be that pressurized….

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Also just checked the trigger coil again. Resistance is like 380 ohms and output voltage is like 2.5vdc. That’s higher resistance than spec and lower output voltage by about half.

I guess it’s time to do magneto. Again.

Last two times my trigger coil failed it went no spark at all.

Although the trigger coil still doesn’t explain the hard stop at what I guess is the compression stroke

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
One more thing. When I tried to install the flywheel when the engine was out, I had a problem. Apparently the starter clutch one way bearing didn’t get up on the lip of the gear and the flywheel went on the crank shaft crooked when tightened.

I took it back off and two of the rollers were bent up on the starter clutch. I put them back into place and they looked okay. But I’m wondering if I damaged it bad. I heard the starter spinning and not catching.

Not doing it as much now.

Don’t know if it’s related to No start condition

·
Administrator
42,053 Posts
Compression should drop when trying to start it. It literally holds the valves open slightly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Starter gear only spins in one direction. So bearing must be working.

I’m stuck here. Not sure where to go.

It’s possible trigger coil is going bad again. But that doesn’t really explain the stall at the compression stroke I assume is happening when trying to fire.

It’s acting like it’s out of time. But it seems like I have the camshaft installed right. Lines don’t line up perfectly parallel to the head. But it’s very close. When I line up timing marks, piston is as high as it can be in the cylinder.

I’m wondering if the flywheel slipped or sheared the key. But again, timing appeared to be good. If it’s off, it’s barely off.

I have everything off that side and need to move the gas tank to fit the flywheel remover on to pull out and check.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Removed the flywheel. Key didn’t shear or slip.

Ordered a new magneto/coil. Went quality with this one instead of Chinese. Don’t think it’s my problem, but, this one is out of spec on resistance and output voltage. So, it’s going to be a weak spark at best. Under compression it’s possible it’s not sparking.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts