Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Looking for some insight in to a problem that surfaced this past weekend. 800 miles on a well maintained reasonably ridden, not beaten Prowler...all of a sudden bang! Grinding in the botton of the engine. Engine runs fine and shifts in to all ranges perfect. When the unit trys to move bang, grind, jerk etc. Already ruled out the front and rear differentials as well as the drive belt and associated items. Stethascoped the bottom end and it seems the issue is the transmission gear(s).

Called the local dealer for an appointment. Estimate over the phone is $1100.00 for labor to remove repair and replace engine. Would be happy to remove he engine myself to save some jack. Don't want to jump in to the splitting the case thing and attempting the job myself. Parts, gaskets, fluid not included. Is this out of line? They say 11-13 hours.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Ted

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 prowler, luckily I only had 27 miles, and it was under warranty.
The dealer replaced the engine and so far so good on the new one (1300 miles). They told me it was a cracked bevel gear??? It may be an issue if others have had similar problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the info, this helps to know I am not the only one out there with this problem. Did AC recognize the bevel gear as defective or was it considered user abuse?

Ted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ted,

It was defective from the factory. I have heard of one other case with a similar problem somewhere on this forum. I believe the other guy said his was noisey from day one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Just heard from my (new) dealer (not the one I purchased the prowler from) concerning the transmission problems. The dealer found a portion of the case was cracked in 8 places and the bevel gears were destroyed. As you may recall this Prowler was 1 month out of warranty.

Now for the good news.....AC is sending a complete lower assembly....free of charge....thats right, the entire lower portion of the engine/transmission/drive assembly, everything except the piston, cylinder and head...plus, all the gaskets to reassemble the top end. I have owned well in excess of 20 different atv / bikes etc over the years, none of which unfortunately have been AC's until now and I have never encountered such a company who is so in to keeping their customers happy.

Bottom line....AC did not owe me a thing as this unit was out of warranty and the dealer owed me even less. Believe me when i tell you all, everyone I come in contact with that has had issues with their brand X units and the service or lack thereof, I will only have two words......ARCTIC CAT!

Ted

·
Registered
137 Posts
wow your prowler has been broke and at the shop for over a month. how about a spare motor now for the future,no real down time or missed rides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Warlock250,

Believe me when I tell you after I found out the case was cracked, all I could see was $$$. I seriously contemplated contacting you about your engine. Had AC not stepped up on this situation (which I was suprised they did as they owed me nothing) you probably would have been shipping the engine to Florida. Sorry, but hey, thanks for the offer to sell as your price did not seem out of line at all.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ted

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well hopefully you dont have that problem again. My motors sitting there waiting to get somebody on the trail again.Heck if there was a group of riders with 650s or prowlers they could split the cost of buying it and have a loaner motor waiting to go while they fix there motors and they wouldnt be out for long at all. just a thougt. good luck with the new motor. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts