Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup: HEYEVERYONE!
I AM A RECENTLY CONVERTED YAMAHA MAN. I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW (LEFTOVER) 2006 PANTHER 660 LESS THAN A MONTH AGO AND SO FAR I LOVE THIS MACHINE. IT DOESN'T HAVE THE PERFORMANCE I WAS USED TO, BUT COMFORT FOR TWO PEOPLE IS UNSURPASSED AND WITH OVER 20 MPG. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AM AT THE POINT IN MY LIFE WHERE IT MEETS ALL OF MY NEEDS AND IS A PRETTY GOOD SLED IN THE WOODS AS IT HAS PLENTY OF TORQUE AND A NICE SMOOTH START WHEN HOOKED UP TO A HEAVY LOAD.

·
Registered
153 Posts
catman660,

What kind of performance does it have, such as top speed and acceleration? I was looking into getting a Panther 660 for my wife and I to ride, but was a little worried about the performance myself. I like the idea of a 4 stroke since my wife doesn't like the 2 stroke smell or noise, but don't want to spend that much money on a t660 turbo touring or a new tz1. Plus, I have ridden Panthers ever since my first snowmobile, a '71 Panther. I wish Arctic Cat would do away with these T and Z names and call them what they should be, Panthers and Panteras.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I have 2 04 Cats, a Panther 570 and a T 660 touring this winter was terrable due to the lack of snow but manage to ride 1350 miles on the T660 and 300 miles on the Panther. They both are great sleds, the Panther averages 12 mpg and the T660 averages 21 mpg. In 12 inches of unpacked snow on the lake the T660 (non turbo) will top out at 42 mph and the Panther will do 50 mph under the same conditions. The temperature was 30 degrees F and riding double on both sleds. The T660 has more torque from take off up to 35 mph than the Panther. The 2 stroke Panther is much more pepperier at speeds above 35 mph. I had the T660 up to 65 mph, but it took awile to reach that speed, reminds me of my 1979 VW rabbit diesel. Both sleds feel like they handle the same in unpacked snow. The T660 is mush quiter and smoother at all speeds and no 2 stroke smoke. The T 660's engine sounds like its is not laboring at all in the snow, where as the Panther's engine bogs more when going from hardpack to unpacked snow espacially while riding double. Both sleds handle great in the ditch and break their own trail in the ditch. On the trail, the T660 has a better ride than the Panther, both sleds are a great improvement over my 1987 Trail Indy. If I had to recomend one sled,it would be the T660. going 80 mph is not my thing, I like to enjoy the scenery instead.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last season I picked up an 02 Touring 4 Stroke, the 1st year of full production for the 660. That engine just has about 45 hp compared to the 06's 52-55 hp. I had a horrible winter with just some road edge and dirt road riding to go with one week only of enough snow for groomed trails. Fantastic ride and performance similar to our old 97 Indy 500. On a groomed trail it would do 60 easy enough and if enough straight available, will creep up a little more. On a glazed over paved road it crept up to over 75 mph but took a while to do so. Even a slight up grade of the road slowed it back toward 60. For touring and a more leasurely pace it is great and the 06 should be better with a little more performance. I think the suspensions compare pretty close as there doesn't seem to be much change over the years for that system. While I've slowed down a bit (will be 68 by riding time), I still have an 02 Skidoo Legend 600 in the garage for 90+ mph acceleration runs. That sled with it 2 variable rate shocks under the rear has always been a comfy ride. The Cat touring is even better. The turbo does appeal to me, but the non turbo model gets far better economy no matter how carefully one drives a turbo. Fellow I bought mine from had just upgraded to a Turbo Touring and was disappointed he couldn't get mpg he used to. He wanted the extra power for the sometimes slush encounters when crossing the ice bewtween Drummond Island, MI and Northern Ontario across the North Channel, rather than the extra top end. The wife will appreciate the 4 stroke, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts