Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what’s causing this. After riding a while it may flash occasionally a few times, no pattern or anything, and eventually stays on. Next day same thing. I read about the collar magnet thing and that seems intact. Read that if it’s overheating it will flash a few times and stay on but I don’t think that’s what’s going on here. The check engine light is simply a light mounted in a blank plate where the tachometer would normally be. Read that there may be a plug that a jumper can be placed in to display codes but don’t know where it is or if it applies to this model. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Here's a list of trouble codes. connect DN and GND to check codes on speedo head.
trouble codes.JPG

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Service manuals can be downloaded from country cat . com under technical info at home page at top.

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Bad bearing that took out the magnet that is on end of driveshaft. Take speed sensor housing off and inspect. Best access is removing secondary clutch.

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
That’s totally up to you but it’s not hard just to check magnet and sensor for damage. Secondary clutch comes off shaft by taking out center bolt. Sensor housing come off undoing the three nuts. Magnet is on end of driveshaft.
All procedures can be found in service manual. Download it and review it.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
2006 Panther still has the old mechanical spedo and the stupid magnet in the jackshaft.

The issue is either the magnet has fallen out or there's so much grease and crap around the sensor/magnet it's not reading well. Pretty much the ECU needs speed input so AC came up with this setup as a bandaid. They're prone to do this. We have a '03 Bearcat that has the same problem, we fixed it once and it was a major PITA due to the air box setup on that machine. It did it again and we just went with it. It's been running like this for probably 10 years.

If you are going slow the CEL will go out but if you make some "fast" runs it will come back on.

K

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Thanks kopeck, I forgot that they’re different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was kind of greasy around the magnet and sensor. I took the sensor out and cleaned it. The magnet ring seems intact and firmly attached. I cleaned around the ring and then took a dremel tool with a wire brush and used that on the ring. So far I have gone 30 miles and the check engine light has not come on, where before after about 5 miles it would come on. I am hoping....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it doesn't work I am tempted to unplug or cut the wire to the check engine light and forget about it

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
If it doesn't work I am tempted to unplug or cut the wire to the check engine light and forget about it
No don't do that. It tells you a lot more than you think. If it goes again your driveshaft bearings are starting to fail and you need to replace them, they can take out your tunnel and or chaincase. You need that light to tell you other things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven’t disconnected the check engine light yet, but frustration is brining me ever closer. Stopped at a arctic cat dealership and talked to them about it. They said the collar magnet Is probably weak due to age, however it is no longer available. The said they glue a strong magnet to the sensor as a patch and let it go. Said the ecm doesn’t need it. The sled only had 300 miles on it when I bought it this winter and I got it from a different dealership that had it on consignment. They went through it thoroughly before I took it. The bearings are good. Regardless, I found a sensor and magnet on eBay. We’ll see...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts