Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 M7 that keeps cutting out on me, it doesn't do it all of the time but it does it enough for me to know something is wrong. It was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel or air, until my friend noticed that the lights flickered when it cut out. From what I can tell, I think it needs a new stator but I was wondering if anyone knew any common issues with these. I just wanted to check before I spend 500 bucks and have tp pull the engine to replace the stator.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Before I got into stator regarding a random cutout I would look at your coils, I'm not sure about sleds but I know my coils on my Zuki built Cat quad tend to fail about one every 4-7 years because of heat cycling. Does it start right up again after it dies? or does it need to cool down before starting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I got into stator regarding a random cutout I would look at your coils, I'm not sure about sleds but I know my coils on my Zuki built Cat quad tend to fail about one every 4-7 years because of heat cycling. Does it start right up again after it dies? or does it need to cool down before starting?
Some times, the other day I had to leave it and come back. We stopped and shut our sleds off and then it didn't start. I rode back out with a tow rope and tried to start it and it started and ran fine.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
in my experience with coils when they fail at first they are notoriously intermittent. what happens is they'll get hot to a certain point inside, the wrappings expand, dead short, and kill spark to that side/plug until they cool down, once cool the dead short is gone they start and run like nothing happened till they get hot again. Typically coils are located near a heat source (exhaust etc) but have air flowing by them from vents, outside temp etc all makes a difference in how long you get into your ride till it falls on it's face and strands you angry pulling on the rope till you are blue in the face. Come back 20-30 min later, fires up like no issue and away you go. It will get WORSE and happen more often as time goes on until it finally dies.

A coil issue will drive you COMPLETELY insane chasing it until/unless it's a total failure, Ohm-ing it, or doing other tests on it will only work to show the issue AFTER it's gotten too hot and failed. I guess one method could be using a heat gun but then you risk damaging coil if it isn't already.

My suggestion would be find someone with a known good coil and try it for a trip to see if problem presents, or run it around the yard for awhile till it dies, as soon as it dies have a spare plug in your pocket pluck the plug wires off stick a plug in each and haul it over watching for spark, this won't give you 100% definitive proof because it could be weak spark still or slightly off-time.

My quad is on it's 3rd factory could since 2004 (7600 miles, at all temps between -25 and +40), because it randomly will just be running along fine, and flatline on me. If it does twice in 2 rides I source a coil and replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in my experience with coils when they fail at first they are notoriously intermittent. what happens is they'll get hot to a certain point inside, the wrappings expand, dead short, and kill spark to that side/plug until they cool down, once cool the dead short is gone they start and run like nothing happened till they get hot again. Typically coils are located near a heat source (exhaust etc) but have air flowing by them from vents, outside temp etc all makes a difference in how long you get into your ride till it falls on it's face and strands you angry pulling on the rope till you are blue in the face. Come back 20-30 min later, fires up like no issue and away you go. It will get WORSE and happen more often as time goes on until it finally dies.

A coil issue will drive you COMPLETELY insane chasing it until/unless it's a total failure, Ohm-ing it, or doing other tests on it will only work to show the issue AFTER it's gotten too hot and failed. I guess one method could be using a heat gun but then you risk damaging coil if it isn't already.

My suggestion would be find someone with a known good coil and try it for a trip to see if problem presents, or run it around the yard for awhile till it dies, as soon as it dies have a spare plug in your pocket pluck the plug wires off stick a plug in each and haul it over watching for spark, this won't give you 100% definitive proof because it could be weak spark still or slightly off-time.

My quad is on it's 3rd factory could since 2004 (7600 miles, at all temps between -25 and +40), because it randomly will just be running along fine, and flatline on me. If it does twice in 2 rides I source a coil and replace it.
Sounds good, Thank you very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts