Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have encountered an issue after replacing the entire primary clutch shaft assembly.The only parts not new were the one way bearing and the 6 plate centrifical clutch..At idle it clangs and bangs in nuetral . The noise is coming from inside behind the 6 plate centrifical clutch.when shifted to hi it grinds some before going into H ,shift back to nuetral and it sometimes wants to stay in gear... my neighbors brother who is a artic cat ase mechanic came over after work last night looked over the clutch job i did and said the entire clutch job i did was all installed correctly but that was all he could say due to his contract at work which prohibits him from moon lighting he could not offer up any ideas on the problem .I would appreciate the help on the possible causes of whats now happening from the members here.. Thank y all

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Did you check all 8 rollers for flat spots? Was the bearing in the outer case still good and no damage from installing it? Are you sure the metal gasket was on the dowel pins and captured by all the bolts?

Reactions: Mudnuts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Merv, what could happen if theres flat spots on the roller weights? Mine have them but as of now I am not experiencing any issues. Should I replace them when I get my clutch done by Papaslap?

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Absolutely!! They need to roll smoothly so they all go evenly to the outside of the valleys. You can lose top end and once they get flat spotted they just get worse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20006 650 automatic

All parts for the primary clutch job were brand new direct from arctic cat with the exception of the one way bearing and the 6 plate centrifical clutch and basket...From the nut that holds it all together to where the one way bearing slides in the backside it is all brand new.... sure sounds like the problem noises are coming from inside the engine behind the centrifical clutch...." I Just found out that my neighbor brother inlaw let his14 year old plow snow and that's when it all flew apart ..The kid saw a pair of chains in the shed put em on the rear wheels without telling anyone and headed out in the deep snow. He even dug four holes spinning the tires before it all flew apart and would not move anymore... The entire shaft fixed drive, rollers, movable drive everything was shot. the nut spun off and welded itself to the bearing in the cover.... Sure would have been nice to know that information before I did the entire clutch job for them.Anyone or thoughts on the problem now that I have found out the abuse the machine took?

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Bevel gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Farmings been keeping busy and i finally got back to the issue with this atv.I personaly have never split the cases if thats what needs to be done .A guy came over to pick up a tractor from us and we got to talking about that machine so i fired it up and she clanged and back her gave it some throttle in n and it went away backed it off and there the noise was again,then he saw the old outer cover on the bench with a bucket holding 2 -2 1/2 qts of oil that the owner had just droped off that morning .He said ,Did they have to remove the plug on the bottom of the primary cover ? i said it came with the cover off i had no idea,so I called and was told yes indeed they did have to drain oil out..I had no idea that that much oil was taken out via the primary or HOW it got there ...His thoughts were oil pump drive gear possibly...His theory was it some how puked all that oil out of the engine into the primary, the engine , and entire clutch assy got hot which caused the red locktite to melt out of the nut holding it all together...I think he is in the ball park... When they droped off the cover and the oil they drained out there was the nut welded to the bearing and seal under the retainer in the cover....What do i need to do to gain access to to check that oil pump....Our mechanic on the farm here passed away shortly after this machine came to us so i have taken it on myself to help the owners out on my own.. Thanks y all for the suggestions and help i sure do appreciate your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.