Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
you must have got the really tweaked engine mods or big tire kit with all the springs. i just got my kit for my 05' 500 auto. their suggestion for my bike was just the standard kit, and all i got were the weights, no springs...my install will be alot easier than yours.
thanks again for the effort in helping the rest of us out. thats what makes this site great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
nope just the stock tire kit. and no real crazy mods what i have is in my sig. you have a different clutch setup than i do. so all you needed was the rollers to allow your belt to drop down lower on the primary. alot of guys just replaced the rollers and said they noticed a big difference. so yeah your will be alot easier of an install.

·
Registered
129 Posts
excellent job Rango. Do you think the instructions are similar for my 07? I'm not sure if it's a Suzuki engine or not.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
crypto i cant say for sure but i would bet it would be the same or extremely similar. got any pics of your motor i can tell ya if its the same. or im sure someone on here would know

·
Registered
129 Posts
actually, it looks just like your pics, so my guess it would be the same. Do you know what kind of engine the 07 has?

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
are you saying your clutches look the same or the motor.? i think your engine is the same as mine its suzuki's 376 motor. i dont know if cat makes its own 400 motor's yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yea the motor looks the same. Thanks for your help. This is a great post for when i do this mod. Even if its a little different.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
if its the same motor the project will be the same. either way basics are the same

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I just did my 700 and it is a little diff not much though. The 700 dosent have the little springs just the big spring and rollers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great write up and instructions. I appreciate the insight. So a 500 AC auto would just be the rollers then? Again thanks great job on the instructions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crypto @ Feb 22 2008, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
excellent job Rango. Do you think the instructions are similar for my 07? I'm not sure if it's a Suzuki engine or not.

thanks[/b]

I just installed mine yesterday(27" or bigger tire kit). Looked at supplied directions,then at Rango's . Just throw away the directions that came with it and use Rango's. Much better! The only differences I found on my '07 is no dot on the one-way bearing...says "outside" on bearing. Made a world of difference...no more lag from the big tires.Well worth the money.Thanks for the write up Rango !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
GREAT WRITE UP Rango for now I find my stock clutch works great not sure if it is becuse I have the 4.0 gears in my 07 but when it comes time to change my belt I will do this mod. At the moment I love the power of my 400 it has loads of bottom end power in the mud in high range and top speed is 52 mph- not bad for a stock bike and I am 200 + lb. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
the 4.0's make a huge difference. my machine was great too but i decided to install the clutch kit and couldnt believe how much better the machine pulled. now if i could get my hands on some 4.0's i would be very happy

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Great write up, this was my first time in an auto clutch and this really helped me understand what i was getting into. once in there it's one of those "wow this is pretty simple i should have done this a long time ago" things. i would like to add that i made a spring compression tool similar to what the guys use on the H1's a 2 1/8" to 2" exhaust adapter, 2' of 1/2" all-thread, 2 1/2" nuts, 2 1/2" fender washers, and a couple of larger washers, worked very good. [attachment=127795:sec._compresser.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Glad it helped you out man. thats what its here for. this was my first time into the auto clutch and just as you said its real simple. just take your time and before ya know it your done. ill be reclutching mine some day. something more agressive. but i have other things to worry about first like getting my machine back and rideable.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
i ordered my kit yesterday rango. i wont be able to work on it during the week but ihave time today. i have the primary and secondary out already would i be alright draining the oil and removing the inner cover and letting it sit a week?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
it'll be fine inside, outside i might worry about cond. if you leave it open. but i'm no expert, inside i know is fine though, should be a film of oil left that'll stop rust unless rained on anyways

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Just a question regarding the secondary spring swap. I have gotten myself a little lost over reading all these instructions (here, epi sheet and a few others). Do you have to torque the spring retainer nut? If so, how exactly did you do so with channel locks. Or where can I find the spanner that can be attached to a torque wrench. I have searched the tool isles of all the local auto parts stores and turned up nothing.

I read too far into everything and I often overlook the simplest solutions.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i dabbed a little red loctite on mine and drove it tight with a punch while it was still compressed.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
So the actual torque of it has no effect on the operation of the secondary? Cool. That is all I was concerned about. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts