Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2006 A/C 500, it came with 14" ITP wheels and 27" Zilla's. It's got a black magic exhaust, and apparently its jetted. My question is; I dont know/think that the machine has a clutch to match the tire and rim package that it has. I don't know to tell if its clutched or not. The machine seems fairly doggy on the bottom end and has no top end, seems to max out around 40ish km/h?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
new belt time

Reactions: sever84

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just took my caliper to the belt and it came out at 34.31mm. So im guess im getting a new belt. Sure hope I can find one cheaper than what looks like the local shop wants for one, $280 seems a very extreme!!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
1mm is the difference between new and wore out...your belt is toast...you dont want to believe that then crack open the wet clutch because if the belts fine your looking at a new wet clutch...you think the belts expensive lol you wait

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1mm is the difference between new and wore out...your belt is toast...you dont want to believe that then crack open the wet clutch because if the belts fine your looking at a new wet clutch...you think the belts expensive lol you wait
Its not that I dont believe you guys. I went off the information given. I simply dont know, hence why im asking everyone on here. Thank you all for helping me. I will start looking for a new belt tomorrow. Hopefully thats all it is, I dont like the sounds of replacing a wet clutch! I didn't realize the tolerances for the belts was so small.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
specs for my belt is 34.7mms new 33.7 minimum......Having wore a belt past spec it causes major power loss and lag when a new belt is due.

Go oem may cost more but will last WAY longer and will not blow apart stranding you

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just looked throughout the entire FSM and I couldn't find the belt width specs. I swear it was in there but anyway I just mic'd my spare AC belt which is used and it is 34.55 mm. Now this belt did work but when I installed the new AC belt the atv did feel a little more powerful or that the power was actually getting to the tires. The number of 37mm keeps ringing in my head and I think 37mm is what a new AC belt should be width wise. You can save yourself a little cash and buy a Suzuki belt instead of a Arctic Cat one. I lucked out last year and found a guy on eBay that had bought a building and there was tonnage of NOS (New old stock) AC parts and i got a brand new AC belt for $80 shipped.
You could try scuffing the drive plates where the belt rides on with a auto body stuffing pad. After a while the surfaces will become glazed and the belt will tend to slip more then it should. To scuff the surface start from the center and work outwards in a straight line don't scuff it in a circular pattern you must go from the center outwards. Then spray the surfaces with brake clean and wipe down. If this doesn't work then it's either the belt or wet clutch. What oil have you been using in the engine? Should be JASO-MA aka wet clutch safe. Does it feel like it's slipping at all? GL.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
specs for my belt is 34.7mms new 33.7 minimum...
I dont think 34.7mm is the correct width for a new belt. If I can recall when I measured my new belt last summer it was at least 2mm wider then the used one I took off. The person who would know for sure is Merv aka Doorfx. He will chime in I'm sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know who makes the OEM belts?

Once we know that then it might be cheaper to cut out the middle guy and buy direct. A $280.00 belt to me represents a whole bunch of markup!:angry:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I dont think 34.7mm is the correct width for a new belt. If I can recall when I measured my new belt last summer it was at least 2mm wider then the used one I took off. The person who would know for sure is Merv aka Doorfx. He will chime in I'm sure.
I said MY belt spec is that...and actually it is correct...I used it as an example that tolerances are minimal and because it looks new doesnt mean anything.

I did not state the 500 spec because it was already given but hey what do i know

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Savage I wasn't trying to piss you off I just didn't think those numbers were correct. Like I said for some reason the number 37 kept popping in my head but I'm not sure. If 34.7mm is the width of a new one then my spare belt is only worn 0.2mm. Nice.

·
Administrator
40,682 Posts
Yes the manual is wrong Rick. The mm measurement is wrong in the 07 manual as well. I remember posting that a couple years ago when I discovered it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts