Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 650 H1 SE and it seems as though this thing is a slug. My Honda 350 Fourtrax is almost as fast. It seems to top out at 50km/hr. Is this normal?

If not what can I do or look for to fix this issue or is this machine strictly a workhorse. The bike has 3900kms on it and has been kept in pristine condition by the previous owner, well as far the appearance goes. LOL

Please help out if you have any knowledge on this bike. This is my first Arctic cat. Oh and I almost forgot. Are these machines suppose to be noisy, as in the CVT making noise at idle. It's quite a bit noisier then the Honda.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Check the belt for minimum thickness. What oil are you using ?
It should go a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Please describe the top end performance a bit better. Bogs, lunges, backfires, pops? Hard to give an opinion with limited info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its gradually picks up speed but slow. It does backfire from time to time. I figured that if I pushed on the throttle relatively quickly it should take off.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Read my post above^^^^^

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Its gradually picks up speed but slow. It does backfire from time to time. I figured that if I pushed on the throttle relatively quickly it should take off.
Does it pick up speed in equal relation to the rpm? Or does the rpm spike and then the speed try to catch up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It picks up speed along with the RPM. Also the noise that comes from the CVT, is that normal? It's very loud. Or is this an Arctic Cat thing.

When you say check belt thickness, please explain? Which belt are you referring to and how does that affect the speed. I'm relatively new to ATV's but I'm certainly mechanically inclined.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Are you referring to the CVT belt? If so, is it as simple as removing the side cover and measuring it. Also what are the specs I should be looking for?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Personally with a belt that old I would just swap it out unless it shows signs it's been changed before... the clutch being loud is probably your rollers... may be time for new ones if the are getting smaller or flat spots...just changed mine 1/8th inch smaller than new and flat... clutch housing may just need a good cleaning as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Are you referring to the CVT belt? If so, is it as simple as removing the side cover and measuring it. Also what are the specs I should be looking for?

Thanks

In the service manual it will give you a minimum width the belt can be. Yes just remove side cover and measure with a caliper

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Download a free one at countrycat.com under technical

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I also have a 2006 650 H1 and am having to change the inner seal behind the primary clutch, for the 3rd time the past 600 km, last time i did it i replaced the bearing, seal, O ring, and spacer, could the shaft possibly be bent ?, if any of you guys can help me out its gratefully appreciated. the quad only has 1000 miles on it, used oem parts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it pick up speed in equal relation to the rpm? Or does the rpm spike and then the speed try to catch up?

I haven't changed the belt yet, but I will be doing that soon. The machine does backfire quite a bit. If it's not the belt, what else could it be. It's been recently serviced. New plugs, filters, etc. The oil used in this machine has always been Amsoil 10W40 synthetic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I haven't change the belt as of yet, but I will be very soon. The oil that is used in the machine is Amsoil 10W40 synthetic. Why would the oil matter? The machine also backfires a lot.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I haven't change the belt as of yet, but I will be very soon. The oil that is used in the machine is Amsoil 10W40 synthetic. Why would the oil matter? The machine also backfires a lot.
Wetclutch safe oil?

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Your machine has a wet clutch internally. If you use oils that are not wet clutch safe ie; friction modified, your wet clutch will slip.
Is your machine backfiring on acceleration or deceleration ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your machine has a wet clutch internally. If you use oils that are not wet clutch safe ie; friction modified, your wet clutch will slip.
Is your machine backfiring on acceleration or deceleration ?

Both. How do I know if the oil that is being used is not wet clutch safe. Sorry I'm new to this. The previous owner said that's what he always put in it. He does have a few machines so I'm assuming he knows what he is talking about. LOL I hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wetclutch safe oil?

I assume so. The previous owner is an avid ATV enthusiasts for many years. He told me when I bought the machine that it is the oil he uses. So yes I'm assuming it's the wet clutch safe oil from Amsoil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts