Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am only getting a top speed of 50km/hr on the bike. It currently backfires accelerating and decelerating. I opened up the transmission case to change the CVT belt. The old belt was worn as it was resting well below the top of the secondary pully top edge. So I installed the new belt and as I was spinning the pulley backwards to get the belt to ride up, i Noticed that it will not go up to where I want it. I want the belt to be slightly above the pully edge, but right now it's flush. It doesn't seem to want to go higher. Am I missing something with this and would that much of a difference affect the speed.

Other then the belt, if it's not that issue with the top speed, which I don't think it is anymore. What could it be? Carb issues? Should I run Seafoam through it. I'm at a loss of why I would be losing almost 50% of my speed.

Please help

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is the bike new to you? What oil was used in it last? If it wasn't wet clutch certified your clutch could be slipping and not getting you up to proper speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the bike new to you? What oil was used in it last? If it wasn't wet clutch certified your clutch could be slipping and not getting you up to proper speed.
It is new to me. I'm not sure what oil was used in it, but it was an older gentleman who has a beautiful shop with all the tools for ATV and sled repairs. He used to be a GM mechanic. So assuming the oil is good, how do I tell if the clutch is slipping?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
So, getting the belt to ride higher in the 2ndry is going to be a change in your primary. You need to spread the primary sheaves by either inserting a spacer or using smaller diameter rollers.
Doing this will give the result of increasing your starting gear ratio, resulting in more low end grunt and a bit better midrange acceleration but will reduce your top end speed. After doing this you'll need to ensure that the belt (2ndry) isn't hitting the case. If it is then your going to need to file down the case where it's hitting. It usually will hit one of the case screw ears.
And BTW, the belt sitting flush or slightly below the top edge of the 2ndry is normal for a stock machine.

IRT to your speed... 50KPH is 31MPH.. this is pretty close to being normal speed if your machine was in low...
Are you maxed out in RPM's? Hitting the rev limiter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, getting the belt to ride higher in the 2ndry is going to be a change in your primary. You need to spread the primary sheaves by either inserting a spacer or using smaller diameter rollers.
Doing this will give the result of increasing your starting gear ratio, resulting in more low end grunt and a bit better midrange acceleration but will reduce your top end speed. After doing this you'll need to ensure that the belt (2ndry) isn't hitting the case. If it is then your going to need to file down the case where it's hitting. It usually will hit one of the case screw ears.
And BTW, the belt sitting flush or slightly below the top edge of the 2ndry is normal for a stock machine.

IRT to your speed... 50KPH is 31MPH.. this is pretty close to being normal speed if your machine was in low...
That speed is in High. I never use low, or extremely rare. As for the hitting the REV limiter, I'm not sure. I believe I'm maxed out on the RPMS. I would take it out on a paved road and go full throttle to see how fast I can get it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also, the bike backfires a lot. So I'm thinking that this may be my power issues.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Good catch with checking the rollers again.
Also, have you used both low and high? What is your max speed in low? If you don't have a rom gauge in your pod. Buy a aftermarket 1. It pays to know your rpms when troubleshooting issues like these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good catch with checking the rollers again.
Also, have you used both low and high? What is your max speed in low? If you don't have a rom gauge in your pod. Buy a aftermarket 1. It pays to know your rpms when troubleshooting issues like these.

How do I check the rollers? I'm not sure even what they look for or where they are. Top speed in High is 53km/hr. I haven't checked what it is in Low.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Oops sorry, I mixed post responces.. the remark about good catch was not for you. The rest was though. The roller are inside the primary.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Have you ever shifted it from high to low and used low to go?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
What was your speed in low?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Download a service manual from countrycat.com. they are located under the technical section at the bottom of the main page.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
My point about speed in low is trying to figure out if your feeling a difference between low and high. The machine will reach max rpm much quicker in low.. and only go about 30mph.. in high max rpm is reached a bit slower and should go much faster..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My point about speed in low is trying to figure out if your feeling a difference between low and high. The machine will reach max rpm much quicker in low.. and only go about 30mph.. in high max rpm is reached a bit slower and should go much faster..

Yeah, I feel no difference between the two, High and Low

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Is this your 1st wheeler?
Also you said in post #3 that this wheeler was new to you.
Since you got it has it always only gone 50kph?
Or did it just happen?
It really sounds to me like your machine isn't shifting into high when you select it.
Not that it really means anything but does your model machine have a gear indicator on your POD?
And if it does, when you shift from low to high does the indicator change as well?
Now I'm no expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if this were my machine, I would disconnect the gear shift rod from the gear shift arm on the transmission. Noting before hand which direction the transmission arm is moving going from low to high. Also I would scribe whatever I took apart/disconnected to make sure it went back together in the same orientation if everything was working as it should. So After you disconnected the shifter rod from the shift arm, manually try to move the arm further in the same direction to see if it in fact isn't moving all the way into high. While your under the plastics... inspect the shift rod and the arm to see if they are bent....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Also, the "backfiring" when your accelerating, is it when your at max speed? Or is it when your building up to max speed.
If it's when your at max, then it's probably the rev limiter kicking in... IF this is the case then it's a strong indication that your machine is in fact in low when you think it's in high.
But if not....then I would be changing the plug(s) and cleaning the carb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, the "backfiring" when your accelerating, is it when your at max speed? Or is it when your building up to max speed.
If it's when your at max, then it's probably the rev limiter kicking in... IF this is the case then it's a strong indication that your machine is in fact in low when you think it's in high.
But if not....then I would be changing the plug(s) and cleaning the carb.
So I took it out the other day to see what's going on, without the cover on and noticed that between High and Low it's different, as it should be. But what I did notice is when i'm in Neutral and press the throttle down fully the primary slides in fully. But when I put it in High and drive it with full throttle, the primary doesn't go fully in. The range of travel is much different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts