Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thank you for this forum! Already learned a wealth of info! I have a 2006 500 4X4 2 up that has a few issues. After sitting in the shed (for a few YEARS), I discovered the mice felt it was a nice place to built multiple nests.... I cleaned out all of the nests, checked the wiring, cleaned out the carb... now, the bike gets up to 20 mph and then starts sputtering, almost like hitting a rev limiter. In neutral, it revs up to the max RPM without a misfire. I took the clutch cover off and the primary clutch (both in drive and neutral) expands and contracts with the proper RPM... however, the SECONDARY CLUTCH didn’t do anything as the RPM’s changed (I also almost passed out from the strong odor of mouse Urine)...In drive, as soon as the RPM’s came up and the MPH was at 20, the misfiring began again...??? The carb looks good, no leaks. Wiring was repaired... electrical? Is it the clutch? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

·
Administrator
35,443 Posts
Check the diodes in your fuse box. They have to face the same direction and match what is on the cover.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
you need to take the 2ndry apart. there might be a mouse house in the mechanism keeping it from moving.
But your sputtering at 20mph probably IS it hitting the rev limiter. Especially if the 2ndry isnt moving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diodes are all going the correct direction. I can post a video of the clutches... the bike is in neutral and the primary expands correctly as the RPM increases, the secondary does not. When in gear (high or low), the primary begins to expand then the bike misfires until it’s back to a low RPM and MPH...
Thank you all for the help thus far. I think I’ll remove the secondary next!
Any other ideas????

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I see no mention if it does this in both low and high range? When I pulled the secondary on my 2014 I found the spring packed with dust and dirt. No way it was working 100%

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Diaphragm on top of the carb isnt seated correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
tiggershark
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing