Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike will backfire sometimes and idle hi then lo backfire and die has clean fuel no water in carb and all the vent lines are open try to start up and starts hard if you touch the throttle and then it wont idle its been to the dealer 4 times for carb leaking problems and had new needle and seat float assembly tried adjusting the first time, and stills drips fuel out of drain on the bowl ac says tank is not venting but the line is clear and you blow strait into tank. and also has had the clutch adjusted and only has 976 miles on it and when brand new had a new fuel sending unit installed did not work when uncrated love the bike buts its a piece of crap thinking of trading it in for brand new one badcomputer bang your head badcomputer bang your head

·
Registered
434 Posts
These bikes are complicated machines. It is not the bikes fault the problem cant be fixed, it is the techs at the dealer. you need to find a dealer that wont just throw parts at the bike but actually diagnose the problem and take the time to fix whats actually wrong

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
It very much seems to be a carb related problem. If the machine is under warranty or if the problem happened while under warranty and was never fixed, I'd demand that they replace the carb with a new one. Sounds like the carb is either un-fixable or the mechanic is inept. Either way, a leaking carb is unacceptable. Demand a replacement carb.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thinking about doing that already suggested doing that once it never leaked until about 150 miles ago and it really is pissing me off especially now that it is backfiring today and i notice the caliper bolt fell out

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Is it leaking fuel from the bottom drain screw? If so, you may have a small washer or seal missing. Can't see how that would cause back firing though. Check the air passage joints to and from the carb. If there's a loose joint it can cause back firing. Have you bled fuel from the tank and carb to look for dirt or water? If not, check them.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Did the back firing and stalling happen directly after doin any work to the carb? Could be improper float height or dirty jets. Does sound like it is a fuel related problem though. If you suspect your cat dealer is not up to par with the mechincal work then there is no problem taking it to another dealer and cat will still warrenty it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dealer has had it apart i dont have the time to tear it apart its to small i would rather tear apart my 150 hp tractor than my quad and no it did not start after any work lately was riding a wheely in the yard making my 2 year old laught and then it died and then started backfiring and i know its under warranty but another dealer is at least 100 miles a way and diesel fuel is to damn expensive to drive there my dealer are really nice but not sure about getting problem fixed but they are being very nice so I am keeping my cool for now but it could and can get ugly

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey all got the problem fixed i inquired about trading it off today when dropping off to the dealer for the 7th time and they made me a deal i cant refuse on a 07 500 4x4 manual like i have now just a year newer and brand new so its not my problem as of thursday when i go back to pick up the new one plus they letting me keep my brushguard and gun racks thanks for all your help hope my 07 is better than the 06 i'm still a cat fan eventhough all the problems i even talked to buddies into buying a couple

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea except i paid the 06 off last month now have to fork out another 1000 dollars for the 07 hope it all works out though

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
sounded like everyone else says a carb problem, probably (just guessing) when you were popping wheelies it loosened up a bit of crap in the carb bowl and is moving around in the carb. was it running out the overflow or just running like crap? either way i don't believe much was changed between those years, hope it works out for ya, and a small tip: if at all possible ride around at the dealer's before you leave to make sure brakes/throttle/suspension/steering and everything else works to your liking just to save a trip back if something might not be setup/adjusted just right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dont worry after allthe trips i've made i will and i will knit pick it and the dealer gave me a fuel filter on the house for the 06 last week but didnt have time to mess with so i am going to put it on the 07 when it comes home and off the trailer

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
great idea, and figured you would! learned my self, few years back bought a brand new buell xb9sx, dealer went through complete bike with me, showed me how to turn on the left directional and off ( thinking to my self duhh, been riding for years) and sure as can be after i trucked home and unloaded the rear right directional didn't work! 9000 plus tax, 40 min trip one way. back down i went the next day, ended up being wireing underneith the seat (not bulb, i checked) but ever since that day i completely go through as much as i can before i even leave the dealer floor.
only thing i have caught since then is wife's 04 500 on the plastic spedo cover didn't have a sticker on it from factory, dealer never even saw it and wasn't sure if there was even one on the 04's but ordered me one. picture is same day we bought it at the dealer lot, notice not sticker?

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info dont worry after my problems i will be anal but the guys at dealer are awesome people to work with thats why i am doing business there again the only reason it they were asses i would have been and probably wouldnt have got a good deal on the trading deal

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
What colour is your '07 500M?

I got the garbage bag green this time. The '06 is lime.

Get that fuel filter on a.s.a.p. It will keep any plastic cutting and shavings that might be in the fuel tank from getting to the carb.
Check your brake caliper cap screws to ensure they're tight. While you're at it, check the bolts that hold your A - arms on the steering knuckle. The torque info that I had previously posted indicates that the brake caliper cap screws should be 20 ft. lbs. When I checked mine, the seemed to have been set at around that. That seems a little light for me. Considering the number of loose calipers being reported, I gave them a few more ft. lbs. I'll be keeping an eye on them nonetheless. Check the air pressure in your tires. Make sure there are no coolant or oil leaks. Check to ensure the battery caps are tightened down. Mine were loose and there was some electrolyte spilled out of the battery. Check the electrolyte level while you're at it. Don't forget to burnish your brakes.

Break it in briskly. Give it lots of load and revs then back off for a while to let things cool. Repeat for the first twenty miles or one hour or so.
I'm fortunate to have a good place to break my machines in. My camp is way out in the bush in hilly country. It's off of a gravel road with a lot of hills that are two to three hundred feet high and fairly steep climbs. Some of the grades are around 10%. Fifteen miles from my camp there is a fishing lodge. So I ride the road to the lodge to break in my new machines. I think it's perfect for that purpose. I gas it good going up the hill and roll down the other side. Repeat for a 30 mile round trip put another ten to twenty miles on it then drop just the oil. The next stage of break in is similar but the "on the gas" durations are longer. I'll change oil and filter at 150 miles. Thereafter, regular riding. Seems to work. All my engines have held up well and have good power.

Good luck to you and enjoy your new Cat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my new cat is dark green havent seen it yet though was still in crate when made the deal but that is what color i am getting the dealer will burnish the brakes they did on the last one cause i saw them doing it and asked what they were doing and they told me and they actually checked all the fluids but so did i thanks for the info and i live out in the middle of nowhere with lots of hill and steep trails to break in the motor i did about what you do to break in my junk 06 and will do the same on my 07 just hope its a better machine thanks for all your help i'lll keep you informed on how it goes

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also borat going to put fuel filter the dealer gave me on as soon as i get home to stop any problems like that before they start hopefully thanks again borat for all you help with my old junker with 976 miles

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (travz500 @ Apr 10 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
also borat going to put fuel filter the dealer gave me on as soon as i get home to stop any problems like that before they start hopefully thanks again borat for all you help with my old junker with 976 miles[/b]
You're most welcome.

Go easy on the '06s, I still have one. Just kidding. Mine's been great. Once I got used the electric choke idiosyncrasies I haven't had any issues. I did damage a CV joint boot but that's not the machine's fault.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts