Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
checked all inputs to the cdi box ohmed all wires from cdi plug confirming wires not broke. have pulse signal good peak voltages forward reverse and neutral all go ground when selector is placed in position. question is I get a + 9 volt reading on reverse wire (red / Green ) with ignition switch on and gear selector in forward or neutral not sure if this is normal new cdi box is coming don't whan to fry new $600 cdi

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
Not sure exactly how it works but press over ride button and see what you get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put in new cdi today no change in spark. checked peak voltage again at igniton coil primary with DVAdaptor no pulse. Had meter on 200 vdc red lead on coil primary black on ground to see if Icould see any voltage at all while cranking no charge detected but when cranking stopped read 100 volt spike suspect a short with starter circut wanted to try to pull start but cord not engaging with crankshaft probably Frozen 25 degrees here. Put four wheeler in reverse and held brake for initial start with new CDI and used starter fluid. reverse override jumps reverse signal to the neutral input on cdi

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
You’re working on a 400! Known flywheel failures where magnets fall off. Do you have spark at the spark plug at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This atv uses a 12volt cdi the stator is only wired to regulater the pulser picks up from a small magnet on the outside of the fly wheel that signal is getting to the cdi I guess I dont understand how the charging circut could effects the ignition system but I do see many videos and posts claming no spark do to damaged magnets on inside of fly wheel I will ohm out the stator coils but would rather not split the case if pulser is working properly. are there any tests for lose magnets

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
No real test that I know of but mostly intermittent spark or no spark is a sign. You're actually not splitting the cases. You're just taking off left side cover after draining oil. You'll need the proper flywheel puller too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No real test that I know of but mostly intermittent spark or no spark is a sign. You're actually not splitting the cases. You're just taking off left side cover after draining oil. You'll need the proper flywheel puller too.
Got running with new flywheel and stator magnets were lose and wires were frayed coming out of case got parts from rmstator $450 with puller recomend if you have simaler isues to start with flywheel and stator even if testing shows good reading from pickup

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
Good to hear you got it going. Thanks for the update

1 - 10 of 10 Posts