Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning All,

I am new to Arctic Chat. As a newbee I was on a 50 mile ride on the weekend. Upon cleaning the TRV I noticed that the outer spring was rubbing on the actual shock Housing (Front Shocks Only). The right side was the worst but the left had a small amount of wear as well. They were set at the highest setting. I have since lowered them to the lowest setting.

What could be causing this? Has any one had a similar experience? If so what was the fix? Or should I just have them replaced under warranty?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine has rubbed occasionally and I can see the markings on the shocks body. To me it is really a cosmetic thing and will not really effect the bike. Now it is pretty clear mine are not always rubbing, just some of the time. So if yours looks like the spring is constantly on the shock body it might be something to let ac look into

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Welcome to that board!! welcome call Good to see another TRV'er here.
I've not noticed that on mine, but I didn't look that close today when my head was in there. I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to ya, although as long as it isn't wearing so much that it puts a hole in it, I don't think you'd have to worry too much about it. Could be wrong though.
JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The wear is what I would call extreme on the right shock body. When they are at there highest adjustment; it appears the outer spring is two close to the shock body. Since I lowered it the spring has moved further away from the shock body. This gives it more clearance.

Basically if I leave them at max adjustment it will result in the wear through of the shock body itself. I will try to post some pics of what I am talking about tonight.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
heath1967, welcome call to ArcticChat! :chug:

Coil springs have some interesting characteristics. Basically, it's just a metal coil that becomes unstable when compressed. It will want to bend instead of containing the force/energy in a straight line. Some coils can be worse than others. It all depends on the consistencey of the spring metal.

If you changed out the spring to another one, you might be lucky enough to find one that is less likely to bend under pressure. If your ATV is under warranty, your dealer may be willing to help/try different springs. This might help prevent a future shock warranty claim. Yes, shocks are considered wear items... But in this case it's the spring causing damage that cannot be considered normal wear & tear.

The longer a coil spring is, the less likely it is to contain compression forces with perfect linearity... Or the more likely it is to bend. The longer travel the suspension is, the longer length the spring is going to be.

On my snowmobile, the same thing was going on. The Arctic Cat factory fix was for the dealer to use a large piece of heat-shrink tubing around the shock body. The plastic heat shrink against the metal spring slides easily without wear due to the slippery nature of plastic.

In the following years, Arctic Cat sled shocks came from the factory with a plastic collar to protect the shock body and give the long coil spring something to slide on.

Yes, I know our beloved ATVs aren't sleds... But we can learn the lessons from the sled world anyway. So... This means if you can find large diameter heat shrink tubing, it is a fix that can work for you if you don't want to try another spring.

If the dirt environment is abrasive and wears the heat shrink too quickly, you might try doubling or tripling layers of heatshrink.

:chug:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We can always count on AG for an informed opinion and a good lesson.
JD

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
When I took all the plastic off mine today I saw the same thing you described. Doesn't look like it's a real problem on mine though, just wore the paint off.
JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the photos of the shock spring rubbing on the inner shock. I appreciate all the advice it just seems a little severe in wear to me. Have a look and let me know if you guys feel this is normal.[attachment=69531:DSCF0048.JPG][attachment=69532:DSCF0049.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.