Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my 2006 400 FIS sits for more than a couple of days it will not start and remain running until I spray starter fluid into the carb. With the starter fluid, as soon as I get the RPM above 2000 it will remain running and run fine. Without the starter fluid it will only idle for a couple of seconds, then die and not hit a lick. It seems that the fuel is being gravity drained back into the tank (below the carb) and the pulse fuel pump doesn't have enough pump action during cranking to prime the carb. The carb does not appear to leak fuel from the bowl. Is there a fuel primer on this machine? The hinged arm on the right side of the carb doesn't seem to do anything. What controls the electric choke? Should there be a switch (I can't find one) or is it automatically controlled during start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have determined that the fuel is slowly siphoning back into the tank over several days and I guess the pulse fuel pump can't prime itself. I added a marine-style fuel primer bulb in the fuel line and upon priming it with the bulb it starts right up no matter how long it has sat not running.

Would anyone know if the pulse fuel pump is supposed to have some sort of check valve in it to prevent the fuel from siphoning back to the tank? I would rather not leave the primer bulb installed as it is rather large.

Also, Would anyone know where I could purchase an in-line check valve for the 1/4 inch fuel line?

Thanks again for any help!

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Your carb has a primer on the bottom of it for cold starts. Give it three or four good pumps and it will start at 40 below

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Im guessing the arm youre talking about is the primer arm. You should be able to feel it pump fuel into the carb. if my 06 sits for a few weeks its also dry and I have to crank it a while to get fuel sucked in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pumped the primer arm (which I assume is the little arm on the bottom right side of the carb) many times and it doesn't seem to do anything. Do you have to pump it while cranking the engine?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have pumped the primer arm (which I assume is the little arm on the bottom right side of the carb) many times and it doesn't seem to do anything. Do you have to pump it while cranking the engine?

Thanks again.
No you dont have to pump while cranking the motor over you should feel the resistance of the fuel in the pump handle and even hear it a little on the 2nd or 3rd pump most of the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts