Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 400 FIS 4x4 that wasn’t running due to fuel system problems. I replaced all fuel lines, added a filter, and replaced the fuel pump which wasn’t working. Never could get it to run right with the factory carburetor, so I bought a replacement carb from eBay. It actually ran well enough that I could ride it some, but there are still problems.

Today, it ran pretty well- for a while. Sometimes when I slow down to idle, the bike will load up with fuel, like it’s flooded. When it does this I can definitely smell gasoline, then it cuts off, and won’t re-start. After it sits for a half hour or so it starts right up. What am I missing?

·
Administrator
42,420 Posts
Is the vent line run up to the speedo housing? Is the electric choke working ? Is the new carb jetted correctly ?

Reactions: 303hunter

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,405 Posts
The replacement carb is it a Keihin CVK carb or a no-name/mikuni/something else? Brand new or new to you?

What problems were you having with the OEM carb? do you still have it?

It may sound like a carb problem but I had a similar issue with my 04 400 quad a few years ago, and again a few years before that. When this happens carry an extra spark plug with you someplace safe (pocket) pull the plug boot off, put new plug in boot and ground it, check for spark.

My coil went bad, coil would get hot, short out inside, cut spark, flood engine because no spark. 30 minutes later coil cools down, machine fires, runs just fine, gets hot again dead short down for 30 minutes. I chased my tail on that stupid coil for over a MONTH trying to find my issue, always at the least convenient time for a "beverage break" I would be pulling my carb on the trail, struggling and cursing.

The coils used to be, and I believe still are on yours, mounted on a frame rail up front near the exhaust pipe. a nice hot spot that gets limited airflow at low speeds.

The reason for the extra plug is so you don't need to get in with a ratchet spin plug out, burn hand, swear, curse, struggle. then check for spark. It's a quick process, pop boot off new plug in, check.

Spark could be weak, or slightly off-time or non existent, in all cases I would look further into testing coil. The problem with a bad coil, it's an intermittent problem, it happens only when hot, and at a random interval, it's almost impossible to bench test to find this issue. It's an easy enough, and cheap, thing to check quickly if you can access your spark plug boot and have a spare plug handy.

I could be 100% wrong on the coil, but it's worth a look because all it really takes is a spark plug and minute or 2 to ensure you still have clean spark at that exact time it starts acting up.

The slide could be sticking, My 04 also had this recently, the vacuum slide in my CVK would go up, when i'd let throttle off it would hang open for a split second or a couple seconds before vibration would shake it loose, it gave me a boggy feeling on throttle application and sudden deceleration.

I replaced the spring above my slide with a new one and the problem went away. I trouble shooted this by taking the carb out, pushing the slide up and letting it go on a few different angles (simulating the quad not being totally level) and if there was a distinct delay between me letting it go and it moving down on any typical riding angle (side hill, climbing, dropping)

I swapped the spring, tested the new setup for 5-10km up and down the trail to ensure the problem was fixed, came back, pulled carb clipped my spring again and put it back together lol.

These old dinosaurs are starting to get up in the years and parts like springs are wearing out faster than the suzuki engine in them. I'm just in the process of doing a major repair/replace on mine right now at over 8000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
2006 400 4x4 automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The replacement carb is it a Keihin CVK carb or a no-name/mikuni/something else? Brand new or new to you?

What problems were you having with the OEM carb? do you still have it?

It may sound like a carb problem but I had a similar issue with my 04 400 quad a few years ago, and again a few years before that. When this happens carry an extra spark plug with you someplace safe (pocket) pull the plug boot off, put new plug in boot and ground it, check for spark.

My coil went bad, coil would get hot, short out inside, cut spark, flood engine because no spark. 30 minutes later coil cools down, machine fires, runs just fine, gets hot again dead short down for 30 minutes. I chased my tail on that stupid coil for over a MONTH trying to find my issue, always at the least convenient time for a "beverage break" I would be pulling my carb on the trail, struggling and cursing.

The coils used to be, and I believe still are on yours, mounted on a frame rail up front near the exhaust pipe. a nice hot spot that gets limited airflow at low speeds.

The reason for the extra plug is so you don't need to get in with a ratchet spin plug out, burn hand, swear, curse, struggle. then check for spark. It's a quick process, pop boot off new plug in, check.

Spark could be weak, or slightly off-time or non existent, in all cases I would look further into testing coil. The problem with a bad coil, it's an intermittent problem, it happens only when hot, and at a random interval, it's almost impossible to bench test to find this issue. It's an easy enough, and cheap, thing to check quickly if you can access your spark plug boot and have a spare plug handy.

I could be 100% wrong on the coil, but it's worth a look because all it really takes is a spark plug and minute or 2 to ensure you still have clean spark at that exact time it starts acting up.

The slide could be sticking, My 04 also had this recently, the vacuum slide in my CVK would go up, when i'd let throttle off it would hang open for a split second or a couple seconds before vibration would shake it loose, it gave me a boggy feeling on throttle application and sudden deceleration.

I replaced the spring above my slide with a new one and the problem went away. I trouble shooted this by taking the carb out, pushing the slide up and letting it go on a few different angles (simulating the quad not being totally level) and if there was a distinct delay between me letting it go and it moving down on any typical riding angle (side hill, climbing, dropping)

I swapped the spring, tested the new setup for 5-10km up and down the trail to ensure the problem was fixed, came back, pulled carb clipped my spring again and put it back together lol.

These old dinosaurs are starting to get up in the years and parts like springs are wearing out faster than the suzuki engine in them. I'm just in the process of doing a major repair/replace on mine right now at over 8000 miles on the clock.
Carb is a new no name eBay replacement that I probably shouldn’t have bought. When I got the bike it wasn’t running, and the previous owner said fuel system problems. I bought the carb, fuel pump, all new hoses, and installed an inline filter. Intake manifold is leak free.

The reason I’m still thinking it’s in the fuel system, is that I can spray starting fluid into the air box when the bike dies, and it then starts. I did a thorough cleaning of the factory carb yesterday, and will try it again. I’ll also check out the coil as you recommended. I have an extra plug and will carry it with me.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,405 Posts
Check float level. Make sure slide isn't sticking

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,405 Posts
Any update? did reinstalling the OEM carb fix the problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts