Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to come up with a solution thats been nagging my sled and I over the passed couple years. It seems like my secondary clutch acts up after a prolonged period of constant mid-speed use. If I'm on a railroad grade or just cruising at 60-70mph my belt will start to slip. At one point the secondary clutch had damaged plastic rollers, which I replaced thinking that this would cure the issue, but it didnt. I know it's the secondary because I've pulled over and checked to see that it hadnt returned back to its normal resting state. Also, since this problem came out, it seems the sled struggles to break 80mph. Does this seem like a common issue for these sleds?

Ive done research over the years and some say go with the Tied clutch, some say rebuild what you have, and others say put on the older style secondary clutch. I'm just looking for a reliable option, not really too concerned with raising performance (but certainly not opposed to it.)

Thank you for any advice given!

-Brett

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
Your secondary clutch is completely shot. Any of those encapsulated roller design Cat secondary’s are toast after 5000 miles, UNLESS, they receive yearly inspection and parts servicing.

Go with a Standard TEAM TSS-04 secondary with correct calibration for your model sled.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Not buying it. Mine is no dog and 82-85 on a good day is all she wrote. I even geared mine for more top end!
I’m with Guudasitgets on this one. I’ve had mine in the mid nineties no studs still original clutching.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Not buying it. Mine is no dog and 82-85 on a good day is all she wrote.
I’m with Guudasitgets on this one. I’ve had mine in the mid nineties no studs still original clutching.
Yup , you betcha, $hit 80 - 85 and it wasn't even breathing hard. I could run that all day long if I wanted to, empty the tank faster (turbo kicks the fuel into full rich)

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Two things...

A T660 Tubo will do 90 plus all day long. Back when I had my 1" track on hard snow I could get the old girl up to 98, I never couldn't break into triple digits though.

I'm running a TEAM Tied secondary on my '04 T660 and like it a lot. It's a much better unit than the Diamond unit that came on these sleds. Those things will wear out your jack shaft after a while. I think I gave up a little top end going with the TEAM unit but it shifts like a dream and should last forever. I'm running:

Clutch (421438)
Spring (210176)
Helix (960031)

K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
kopeck
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing