Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, start off with the motor, I found an old 02 Artic Cat, with a liquid cooled, Suzuki motor (Suzuki stamped on right hand side of head). The motor was in the bike, but the bike was a mess, not finished. I took it out, changed the drive shafts, and one mount under the gas tank to fit it into the Artic Cat frame. It hooked up very similar, with both plugs from the motor matching in color and polarity, they plugged right in. However, the Gear Poisiton Sesor did not match. The one on the motor is 4 wire, while the one on the Cat's stock motor is 5. I changed the plug, and wired according to color coat, and excluded the Green wire(Bike side), which had no wire to connect to (Motor side). The motor will fire up with the throtle about half, and will run,but runs backfires and pops, and stalls soon as you let off the throtle. If i unplug the Gear Position Sensor, it will start up and idle very smooth and without needing throtle. I've tried plugging it into the Gear Position Sensor on the other motor, but soon as I hook up the wires, it stalls out. I'm unsure of what suzuki motor it is, I do believe it's 500, but only have a Motor Code to go off. The code is M410-05749 Stamped on the bottom of the oil pan, left side by the dip stick. I have been trying things for days, with no luck. When the wires for the gear switch arent hooked up, motor runs like a top, but is in limp mode with out it. With the gear position sensor hooked up it will run, and rev up past limp, but will not idle. help.... :)

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Well if it's from an 02 we can rule out that it's a 400 as they were manual only in that year. 375's had an auto though. Did old atv have any decals to tell you it's a 500 and for sure an 02? I think you're in uncharted territory with your project. Countrycat.com has wiring diagrams you could download and study what wire is what. At home page in grey bar at top under technical information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts