Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm new to the site, and have searched hi and low but cant seem to find any topics about moding a 2005 AC 300 4x4. I can't ven find any pics of one.

please if anyone knows of any mods that would work on an 05 300 please help me out. I been looking for some extra power, and since I sold my 700 my little 300 just aint doing it for me, lol.

I also plan on putting on a set of mudlites, but I'm not sure how big I should go. dose anyone have any recommendations as to whats the largest size tire I'd be able to put on without having my tires rub in the wheel well's and sacrificing suspension travel?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Unfortunatly you wont find many aftermarket performance goodies for your 300, though that does not mean you are out of luck. You should still be able to find an airfilter as well as jet kit for it. If you dont ride much water then you can modify the stock airbox/lid to flow more air, if deep water riding is your thing then snorkles are the answer.
Now with the more air going into the engine you can let it out by modifying the stock exhaust, by drilling holes in the baffles. You should be able to find plenty of info and some pics about doing this, while it may not be for your 300 the idea is still the same. Adding more air into and out of the engine along with the proper jetting this will be your best route to go for more performance and should be done for a reasonable price.

I'm not sure about whats the largest tire size you can fit but if you are worried about performance then I wouldn't vernture much larger then stock IMO. With the smaller engine the larger tires and more weight will bog it down more.

BTW welcome call To Arctic Chat blitzman!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna start lookin into modifying my exhaust.

I guess I should have kept my 700, lol.

None the less, I will do what I can with my 300 until I find a good deal on a 500 or 650

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2005 300 4x4 as well. Been doing some research into the mod subject. So far I put an accessory plug into the dash console next to the ignition. Put a backup light and beeper on, rear stick stoppers, Kolpin handguards, Warn winch kit as well. I have found the 0W40 synthic AC oil works best for me and I have replaced the front diff oil with synthic as well. Ive been looking at the K&N air filters, handlebar warmers, front brush guards on Ebay but havent purchased them yet but im planning to. Im a little if'ie on a jet kits because the bike is still under 2 year warrenty. Most of the jet kits claim only 10% - 15% increase in power anyway. I looked at modding the from differencial to make it lock in 4 wheel drive but it seems that from 2004 and up the front differencial changed. The linkage is a little diffrent so that it can not be locked with the normal modification for the A/C 300's. I have also looked at a high lift kit. It will give you 1 1/2" more clearence underneath but I had a few hits on the subject and one rider said it has affected his stablablity alot and he had to re align the front of the bike to make it steer correctly. That would be an issue for me as I sometimes have my small children on with me. He also said that it wasnt worth the hassle and that he felt if he had to do it again he wouldnt. But im always surfing around and looking at ideas. Do me a favor if you come across any ideas let me know maybe we can share a liitle info and i'll do the same on my end. One thing I had to do with my bike is change the routing of the gas tank vent hose. It seems the way mine was routed was pointing frontwards and outwards and water gets in it and frezzes and air locks the tank thus shutting the bike down (found that one out after a few cold days and the bike broke down) I rerouted mine towards the rear and along the frame rail under the tank. If you wish you can contact me and I will provide you with my email adress for eaiser suggestions sharing. To end it off so far im pleased with the AC 300 its a little lower ground clearance than I would like but my friend has a 500 AC and aint no place he can go that I cant but there has been some places I can but because of the width of the 500 he could not follow me though. Thanks Mr J

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2000 300. The 2001 300 was the last year they used the King Quad front differential which can be locked. I installed a HL lift kit and it worked well. The 300s, have virtually not angle to the axles stock, even with the lift kit the angle was very mild. I have now modified a set of car air shocks for the rear .

I am not interested in driving fast so I run my bike in low all the time. My normal tires are 25x10 gators front and 26x12.5 trail masters rear. When it gets bad I run Mexican EDLs front and USA made edls rear. The bike handles them easily in super low and when it is that muddy the speed is ok.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts