Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all got a 05 500 auto recintly great machine ,
I got a small isue with it
afer i re start itwhen it is warn the rpm,s are a little high and they will not come down for a few min cant put into gear untill they do
what should i look for?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I was you, I'd take the carb apart and clean very well. Also look at the choke enrichment plunger and make sure its clean and operates smoothly. If your not to mechanically inclined....its really not that hard of a job.....just take some pictures before you remove a component and then you can reference them while assembling the clean parts later. Make sure to blow out all passages with air, and before removing any adjustable screws, count the number of turns to lightly seat the screw before removing, so you can reset later.

·
Administrator
7,743 Posts
It has an electric choke and they take a little time to fully warm up, it's normal.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I disagree. It may be "normal" but not acceptable.

Mine did that too when I first got it. It would take a minute or two to idle down until I could shift. Very annoying out on the trail, especially if you're stopped with a group of people. The problem is that engine is idling just high enough that the clutches are engaged and spinning. You have to play with your idle and pilot screw adjustments to get it just right. Even with an automatic/electric choke - it should not be idling so high that it keeps you from shifting gears.

Or simply put it into the gear you want before you start it, squeeze the brake and then hit the starter. Problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts