Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 AC 300 4x4 its a great bike. I live in Newfoundland, Canada it get a little cold up here in the winters some time below -20 C and windy. On two diffrent ocassions in the winter now I my bike has backfired and stalled out and would not restart. The first time, last winter, I blamed it on the spark plug but after putting a little gas line antifrezze in the fuel and waiting a few days of warmer weather she came back to life with the old spark plug. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so is there a cure for this problem other than just gasline antifrezze. Thanks to all for your help in advance

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You should be putting some gas additive at that temp all the time. Any little bit of moisture will give you grief at those temps.

At those temps, the air is really dense so you're pushing more oxygen into the combustion mix, which puts you in a lean condition...which leads to your backfiring. Try messing with the pilot air screw. Check to make sure your choke isn't sticking too. At that temp, that could be your huckleberry as well.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have the same bike and its tough to start cold but I cover intake with my hand and it fires right up. Even with the choke on I have to do this. Once its started and warmed up I haven't had problems with it although I haven't ran it much in the extreme cold. My wife is a fair weather rider.
Maybe you have some varnish buildup in the carb that could be cleaned out with the wonder fluid "seafoam" that most people on here run. I run gasline antifreeze almost all winter and find it helps.

WC

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Feb 4 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At those temps, the air is really dense so you're pushing more oxygen into the combustion mix, which puts you in a lean condition...which leads to your backfiring. Try messing with the pilot air screw. Check to make sure your choke isn't sticking too. At that temp, that could be your huckleberry as well.[/b]
If your backfire and stalling happened when you let off the throttle then it does sound like a lean condition in the pilot circuit caused from the colder air. Try turning you pilot screw out 1/4 to 1/2 turn and that will richen up the mixture for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like my problem was the gas tank vent hose was frozen up and the tank had become air locked. Thus no fuel to the carb. It had a piece of ice in it 2 inches long. I rerouted the vent hose from the front of the bike to the rear of the bike along the frame rail away from water spray. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.