Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2005 500 wont crank

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  hookem 
#1 ·
to start off i tried timing the bike with the mark on the flywheel and the mark on the cam which looks like this -A- but not sure if the A goes up or down and the carb is leaking fuel out of the bottlom of the carb only when trying to start the bike it has fire and good air so not sure what is going on

#2 ·
If you have fuel leaking out the bottom you either have a faulty or misadjusted float, dirt stuck in the needle/seat or a worn out needle and seat. Fix the carb first www.mymowerparts.com for a free manual.

#4 ·
It has a lot to do with it! You need to get the broken part out a nd get a new one.

#5 ·
ok thanks well now it runs and idles fine but for some reason it smokes ALOT its full of oil and has great compression holds 125lbs on the tester but still smoking like i say i put new intake valves in it and new cam chain could it be from the carb makeing it smoke pulling a vacum from the crank case \

#6 ·
Nope , was it smoking before?

#7 ·
the guy i bought it from says it did not smoke at all it had been rebuilt by the arctic cat dealer then it jumped time but i had a 2007 500 and got water in the carb and it smoked bad i cleaned the carb out and it quit smoking and ran fine afterthat in just wondering if it is the same problem here or it is the rings or what it is

#8 ·
Install a fuel filter , run it for a while and see if the smoke clears up. We know that the guy wasn't totally honest because if it was rebuilt they should have replaced the stretched timing chain or bad adjuster or both. Hopefully it not rings but it starting to sound more and more like this bike was swamped and not cleaned out properly.

#9 ·
yea i thinking it was to but he said it wasnt lol and i know people lie but i only paid 600 for it so im not out a whole bunch of money but it does run i am going to have to go through it from top to bottom i was thinking it was valve seats and seals from when the intake valves were bent so im gonna try and replace them before i replace the rings already ordered the rings and waiting to get them in any ideas please let me know

#10 ·
Give the bottom end a really good flush to make sure there is no water in there. Some use diesel and fill it up through the crank breather

Reactions: hookem
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.