Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I got a 2005 arctic cat 500 4x4 and in the last couple of rides it will literally burn your left leg from the heat coming off the exhaust. The engine doesn't seem like it is running hot, i'm sure the fan is still working and i have made sure the rad is not plugged. Anyone know what might be going on or some other tips to try.

Thanks for your help
Catcountry

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Very common on that model. I have one myself & it was terrible. I took the inner front fenders off & bought a set of the side covers for an '07 model & installed them. Just had to get the rubber grommets that go with them & drill a few holes in the plastic on each side.

HTH

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
Also put on some reflective heat wrap tape on covers.You can also wrap the pipe in header wrap..

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just got done installing a set of 2010 700 h1 side covers on a 2005 500. Not a bad job at all. also the cover are pretty inexpensive.

·
Administrator
7,967 Posts
The answer is to re-jet. 05 500's are notoriously lean from the factory. Get s dyno jet kit, the dj needle is what helps the most. I re-jetted two 05 500's and an 04 500.
After re-jetting, I didnt need to put aheat shield on the quad.
Night and day difference in exhaust temps.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
The reflective tape does work very well. My 650h1 did the same thing and the tape fixed it. Motosport (a site sponsor) sells several different styles and thicknesses and sizes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the great advise, this gives me something to work with.
Thanks again.
Catcountry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am have this same problem on my 2005 500 it burn the crap out of my left leg. If I order the side panel off the 2007 model will this work for sure and does it look good?

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
It won’t fit without some modification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts