Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, if I cant get this thing running, I will sell it. About 2 weeks ago, we were running the quad when it suddenly died. was able to restart, but kept dying, then wouldnt start at all. Had fuel, but no spark. Changed the easy things, like coil, plug and wire and spark plug cap. Still no spark. At this point I suspected the flywheel magnets. Removed the caove, and sure enough, I could spin the magnets. None had come off, and the stator was untouched. Replaced with new style flywheel and reassembled. I have fuel and I have spark, but no fire in the hole. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was doing all of this to give my grandkids a usable quad. Again, any help would be appreciated. Have a Blessed day. Rich

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Read this thread about reversing the wires

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok guys, if I cant get this thing running, I will sell it. About 2 weeks ago, we were running the quad when it suddenly died. was able to restart, but kept dying, then wouldnt start at all. Had fuel, but no spark. Changed the easy things, like coil, plug and wire and spark plug cap. Still no spark. At this point I suspected the flywheel magnets. Removed the caove, and sure enough, I could spin the magnets. None had come off, and the stator was untouched. Replaced with new style flywheel and reassembled. I have fuel and I have spark, but no fire in the hole. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was doing all of this to give my grandkids a usable quad. Again, any help would be appreciated. Have a Blessed day. Rich
Both coils I have are aftermarket if that makes a difference..To me, the spark looks a little weak
Read this thread about reversing the wires

I saw that also..it appears I have good spark and fuel. Doesnt even try to fire up. I never replaced the stator, so it seems strange that the wires would need to be reversed. It is almost as if it fires the coil at the wrong time, as if firing on the wrong stroke. I am not one to give up and quit, but this is baffling me.

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
The new flywheel may have reverse polarity.was the pickup coil ok?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I have spark, I suspect it is at the wrong time. I ordered pin removal tool, and it will be here tomorrow..Do I swap just the white and yellow for reversed polarity, or do I also swap the blue and green? Thanks guys

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
It’s in that thread posted above

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am NOT one to quit and give up, but this friggin Eiger engine is driving me nuts. I swapped the white and yellow from the stator. Now I have no spark. I walked away from it for now, but I am not understanding what is going on. If the flywheel I installed was reverse polarity( north and south magnets in opposite positions), then it seems to me I would also have to reverse the blue and green trigger wires. I spent 37 years at IBM as a service tech..I may not be the sharpest pencil, but this has gotten the best of me. If I put the yellow and white back to their original position, I am back to square one with fuel, spark and good compression, but no fire..HHHEEELLLPPP..If I dont get this resolved, I will be selling it..New battery, tires, all new discs and pads, shock bushings, new winch installed, never used new carb, and God knows what else..

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
New plug?
How old is the fuel?
Did you install a fuel filter after cleaning the carb ?
Is the vent line from the intake to the fuel pump connected and not rotten?
Have you tried the primer on the bottom of the carb?
Is your ignition switch good?
Checked all the fuses in the fuse box?
Air filter clean and intake not plugged?
Do you have good compression?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New plug?
How old is the fuel?
Did you install a fuel filter after cleaning the carb ?
Is the vent line from the intake to the fuel pump connected and not rotten?
Have you tried the primer on the bottom of the carb?
Is your ignition switch good?
Checked all the fuses in the fuse box?
Air filter clean and intake not plugged?
Do you have good compression?
As I recently wrote..ALL of those things are good..Everything was fine till the magnets spun freely and came together with a large gap. I am suspecting something with the new flywheel. I will clean the old flywheel and reglue the magnets and give it 24 hours to set up.Pulling the side cover and flywheel isnt a big deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am curious about something, when I turn my key on to start, the neutral light comes on as long as I am in neutral. The Temp light also comes on. I assume that is telling me the oil temp is too high. Will it also cut spark with it on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts