Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 250 4x4 that sat for a couple of years while we built a house. It was running fine when parked. I am trying to get it running again but not having much success.
The battery is dead so I tried to pull the hand starter but the engine will not rotate.
I wondered if a valve had stuck so I removed the valve cover, both valves look OK.
I removed the hand pull starter and cannot rotate the engine in either direction with the center nut.
The ATV rolls freely when in neutral and locks up when put into a gear and pushed forward. The problem appears to be in the engine and I'm not sure where to head next. Should I pull off the head and cylinder to see if the piston rusted up?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Dave

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Get an inspection camera it’s way easier than ripping it apart.

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Pull the plug out and put some fogger in the cylinder and let it sit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the plug out and put some fogger in the cylinder and let it sit.
I did pull the plug when I removed the valve cover and shot some WD40 in the cylinder, no luck yet! Is it possible that the rings rusted to the cylinder wall?

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Yes it’s possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I poured about 1/2 cup of rust solvent/lubricant into the spark plug hole twice today. I then put the machine into 1st gear and attempted to rock it forward. There is no movement on the timing chain. Can you think of anywhere else it might be locked up? I can shift into forward gears, or into reverse and the engine will still not rotate. I have also pulled the starter motor and it appears to be OK.

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Try turning on the crank in neutral.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pour some kerosene in the cylinder and let set for several days then turn it over without the plug in. If that works be sure to change the oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try turning on the crank in neutral.
The nut that is behind the hand pull starter will not turn clockwise, trying to turn counter-clockwise loosens the nut in neutral or in gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pour some kerosene in the cylinder and let set for several days then turn it over without the plug in. If that works be sure to change the oil.
I don't have kerosene but have been using Kysor shutter fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts