Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who can help please advise:

My son and I ride often. We both have 2005 Cats and enjoy them very much. However, on his 250 (Suzuki engine) everytime we get in water his valves seem to get out of adjustment. The dealer has had to re-adjust them 3-4 times in the last six months. After a day ride on the trail in the mud and muck the unit will not crank. We have to push start it to crank it. He does not get in water deeper than 12-18 inches, but he does ride in a lot of mud. The stock snorket is Never under water. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions how to slove this problem. I have noticed when we clean is air filter there is some dampness in the box, which is either there from when we clean it or from water splashing into the box. Please advise if this problem can be fixed and does anybody have a web site on how to adjust the vales back to where the unit will fire correctly.

Secondly, if anybody has made a custom snorket for a 250 or knows of an aftermarket one please advise of this as well? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would check for a leak in the air ducts and airbox. Make sure they are tight on there too. Seems odd though that the valves are out of adjustment every time though...that isn't right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I have checked the air box and all necessary connections are tight. This is why I asked about the snorkel in an effort to help insure the air box stays dry. I will discuss this further with my dealer. Again, thinks for the quick response. Happy New Year.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hlbullet @ Dec 31 2006, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone who can help please advise:

My son and I ride often. We both have 2005 Cats and enjoy them very much. However, on his 250 (Suzuki engine) every time we get in water his valves seem to get out of adjustment. The dealer has had to re-adjust them 3-4 times in the last six months. After a day ride on the trail in the mud and muck the unit will not crank. We have to push start it to crank it. He does not get in water deeper than 12-18 inches, but he does ride in a lot of mud. The stock snorket is Never under water. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions how to solve this problem. I have noticed when we clean is air filter there is some dampness in the box, which is either there from when we clean it or from water splashing into the box. Please advise if this problem can be fixed and does anybody have a web site on how to adjust the vales back to where the unit will fire correctly.

Secondly, if anybody has made a custom snorket for a 250 or knows of an aftermarket one please advise of this as well? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :beer_cheers:[/b]
As Sanny said, it's very unlikely your valves are requiring adjustment. That just doesn't make any sense at all. Your dealer is jerking you around. I have a 250 LTD and when it gets hot, it stalls and can be hard to start. When that happens, I adjust the air screw and everything works fine. When the engine is cool however the air screw adjustment is set too high and the engine will rev higher than it should. I adjust the air screw outward to slow it down. It's an quirk that seems to develop when the machine gets old. Mines a 1987 and I've had this problem for probably five years now. Nothing to do with the valves. I suspect it's the carb. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Borat thanks for the additional info. I will visit the dealer tomorrow and hopefully learn more. I appreciate all of the advice. Regards,

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hlbullet @ Jan 1 2007, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Borat thanks for the additional info. I will visit the dealer tomorrow and hopefully learn more. I appreciate all of the advice. Regards,[/b]
You're welcome.

If your valves are contributing to hard starting in any way and are constantly requiring adjustment, that would indicate that they're already burnt. If so, valve and valve seat replacement will be necessary. Continously adjusting the valves is not the solution. Your dealer should at the very least tell you that.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts