Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 ZR 900 efi that I purchased last spring and ran once last winter. I went to fire the sled up this summer and both cylinders were full of oil, so the sled never fired. The reeds are new (I recently checked) and last winter I noticed lots of oil in my pipe during the ride. I'm assuming the oil pump has gone bad because I have read in some forums that when they do they puke oil like crazy. The sled has leaked oil since day 1 around the oil pump area and I don't plan on replacing or working with the check valves; I'd rather just install a new oil pump... yes I know how expensive they are and I'm not looking forward to it.
In short, I went to remove the oil pump today and the darn thing is on there tough! I was using a 5mm allen key and boxed end wrench for leverage but I could not for the life of me get the thing to come off. Are these bolts a left handed thread to keep them from vibrating loose? I need to avoid stripping the bolt and I am working with limited room so I'm desperate for a hack to solve this problem.
If there is a trick to this or any more info that could be helpful to this situation I'd love to hear it all. The sled has 5-6k miles but did sit in the previous owners garage for the past few years with minimal use.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
i have a known good oil pump.
left me know if you want it.
not left hand thread.
no trick.
on the twin 900s i have owned none where loctited, but your previous owner may have done that.
i did have a tundercat cat that vibrate loose the oil pump and loctited those once i rebuilt it.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
If the cylinders are full of oil its not the pump its the Check valves not holding. (#4) Gravity usually continue to feed the oil. If its leaking on the floor #(9) is loose or (#6) is bad. They have rubber on the brass washers there that may be shot.
Hairstyle White Vertebrate Product Organ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts