Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 04 Bearcat WT with just over 500 miles on it. I took it out for the first time today and when I trailered it I noticed that quite a bit of chain case oil had leaked out on to my trailer (it didn't appear to be leaking prior to this trip). It would appear that it started leaking shortly before, during or after I trailered it. I checked the oil and it was at the "Add" level. I put about 10-15 miles on it pulling a FishTrap portable ice fishing shelter. I looked in the manual and it says "If excessive oil deposits are noticed, take the snowmobile to an authorized Arctic Cat Snowmobile dealer for service." I'm not a gear head, I'm an ice-fisherman so pardon the naivety of my questions. First, what is "excessive oil deposits?" Second, what would cause the oil to leak? Third, how concerned should I be about this (is this more that a "just add more oil" remedy?)? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
47 Posts
3 things to check:

1. Jackshaft bearing, seal and o-ring
2. Driveshaft bearing, seal and o-ring
3. Chain case gasket

My bet is it's one of these 3 things.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reach your hand under the sled on the right side and feel around where the drive axle is. You should feel the head of a bolt, that is the drain plug for the chain case. Right above that is the drive axle. If your hand is now covered in oil it is the lower chain case bearing / seal. But make sure the drain plug is not loose also. That bearing is an Arctic cat item onlyas it has an O-ring down the bore. Gear case cover seal is a possibility as mentioned. But if it was leaking just sitting on the trailer I would doubt the top bearing seal as no oil is up there when not being driven.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts