Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have acquired a 2004 arctic cat 400 fis. It runs great for about 15 mins and then dies. wont start again until it cools.I have read about the dreaded flywheel magneto issue so I took the cover off to check it out. To my surprise it has been changed to the new style rotor. Now my issue seems to be the cover. every time i get the cover back on something is wrong. my shift peg either wont shift through gears properly or the stater binds.when the starter binds if I loosen the top case screws the it will crank. also sometimes i get it back together and it is shifting through the gears good and then once I tighten the all the bolts and tighten the recoil starter then it stops shifting properly again. I am used to my Yamaha's..lol never had this problem but I love this cat and have to get back on trails... I cant even seem to find any pics of inside the case, and my Manuel is no help. seems to go on as it should. Any help would be great. :Bangin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess nobody has ever had any trouble with the cover..lol.. well i will try again after breakfast..I will check on here periodically so PLEASE give any suggestions or help.. very much appreciated

·
Administrator
39,141 Posts
Do you have the manual from www.mymowerparts.com ?
Was there two small washers that fell off one of the shafts when you removed it?

Reactions: Dustyd311

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did find the washers, their were more than 2. they were also different sizes. I put them where they would fit but prob wrong. That is not where my Manuel was from its on a cd it sucks .. i will def order one from there. Thanks for the post.

I did get it together again but i have to loosen top of cover or starter is bound. It did run good and shifted good this time just no reverse this time around. GRRRRR.... do you think that washer placement is my whole problem?

·
Administrator
39,141 Posts
Yes....
That link is for a free service manual

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The washers go on the shift link. Make sure you DO NOT put them on the starter area. case will not seal and will leak oil..My manuel didn't show them either. I had to talk with a arctic cat dealer to show me where they go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts