Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ATV starts fine but stalls when warmed up (after 10-15 minutes). I attempted to adjust the idle to run faster but I think I am at the end of the adjustment so I think I need to clean the carburetor. I have done that before but just to clean the jets and bowl of debris. Does it sound like I need to replace some parts inside? If so, what parts? Also, I am thinking I need to adjust the idle back to its original position so advice on that would be much appreciated. Also, I have read about adjusting the air/fuel screw but can't find any information as to how many turns out it should be ... although I can't imagine its out of adjustment as I have never adjusted it. Here is the diagram to aid in conversation. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Product Font Parallel Auto part Drawing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a side note, I never received any manuals with the ATV when I purchased it (used). Does anyone have a pdf of a maintenance/repair manual they'd be willing to share (providing there are no copyright violations...)?

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
You will find info on carb from a service manual. These AND an operators manual can be downloaded for free from country cat . com under technical information.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,369 Posts
I've made a few posts about carb maintenance on here that if looked for can be found. Country cat has a manual, does it just stall and not start again or does it stall and restart right away?

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,369 Posts
Also, the only piece I typically ever replace on my 2004 400 is part number 12+13 about every 2-3 years depending on riding and proper storage (usually causes fuel to start leaking out of the carb uncontrollably).

I've replaced the main spring #3 but after 18 years and 8500+ miles and a clip mod (cutting rings off) the spring tension started to soften and not give smooth transition.

I'm currently looking at replacing the vacuum piston #4 because I'm seeing enough wear on the bottoms it's starting to look machined (as mentioned, LOTS of miles, LOTS of throttle cycles on that slide)

With a bit more information on what is happening before/after the stall I can potentially offer some assistance from experience.

Sometimes these machines will just stall at an idle, being carbureted and such, things like air temp, fuel quality, throttle action prior to slowing to an idle, or just the idle screw setting can make them a bit finnicky. Once you get it to a happy place it will be good for 90% of usage.

Purchase a decent quality in line plastic fuel filter for your machine and install it somewhere in the fuel line before the carburetor, Avoid cheap "screen" filters and look for one with a "paper" element, something the size of a grain of pepper in your carburetor can bring your ride to a sudden and frustrating halt.

If you start doing mods, jet changes, and riding anywhere between -20C and +40C you will need to start playing with carb more often and doing fine tuning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts