Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this ATV from some guy last year as a whistlin diesel special…done a ****load of work to it. It caps out at 42mph pinned 5th gear on a flat. I dont really care that much, but generally is this the top speed I should expect from something this age? Anything I could do (simple stuff) to make it go faster?

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
I’ve got an 05 300 but have never pinned into see what it does. Double check at the handlebar throttle lever that the set screw allows full throttle. You never know if somebody restricted it for a younger rider.

Reactions: Farrix

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,282 Posts
Also check your throttle cable slack, take the cover off the throttle cable housing on carb and ensure when throttle is fully pressed the carb is all the way open, I've lost 5mm of travel on my carb before due to stretching.

42mph seems about right for a 300 though. 42mph on speedometer or GPS? if the tires are taller you could be going a bit faster than you think,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also check your throttle cable slack, take the cover off the throttle cable housing on carb and ensure when throttle is fully pressed the carb is all the way open, I've lost 5mm of travel on my carb before due to stretching.

42mph seems about right for a 300 though. 42mph on speedometer or GPS? if the tires are taller you could be going a bit faster than you think,
Thanks for the heads up!!! I will definitely check. And yea, 42mph on the speedometer, I believe stock tires are 24’s, I think I have 28’s on there from the guy I bought it from. Never thought of that though, good call

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!!! I will definitely check. And yea, 42mph on the speedometer, I believe stock tires are 24’s, I think I have 28’s on there from the guy I bought it from. Never thought of that though, good call
The fronts have to be one size smaller due to the diff ratio difference. It’s ok in 2wd but not 4wd.

·
Administrator
41,905 Posts
Yes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts