Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2004+ AC400m reverse

7K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Zeke9585 
#1 ·
been digging on some parts websites and i think i figured out how to make the newer 400s have low range when in reverse. i printed out and cross-referenced both shifter assemblies (trans and the subtrans) and the transmissions and subtrans themselves, and 98% of the parts are the exact same, and guess what the difference is.... the reverse shift shaft for the subtrans is the same, but some parts have been rearranged or removed in the subtrans shifter assembly. this is comparing the 02-03 400Ms to the 04+ 400Ms.

below i'm referencing extremepowersports.com parts pages

if you look on the subtrans shifter assembly (called "gear shifting 2") sheet for a 2002 or 2003 400m, then one for a 2004-and-up 400m, you'll notice that on the 04+ reverse shift shaft, there is a "spacer" (as it was described) that looks like a wide collar. well, on the 02-03 there is a washer and a spring where this collar is... and on the other end of this same shaft, there is a "shift cam lock plate" (also as described) just before the reverse shift cam that looks to have been just omitted for the newer 400s. i'm betting that this is the reason you can't access low range while in reverse in the newer 400s... it needs that spring and the cam lock plate to keep the low range drive gear engaged when you stick it in reverse. without that lock plate, it must default to the high range drive gear. this is just a guess though, but i can't imagine how it would work any other way.

the only other difference i could find on the parts sheets is that in the subtrans ("transmission 2"), on the shaft where the high and low range drive gears are located, they moved 1 washer (part# 8) from one end of the shaft to the other... i'm assuming they had to do this to make everything line up after they removed the washer, spring, and cam lock plate from the reverse shift shaft.

See less See more
#27 ·
I just found this thread this morning, or I would of replied sooner. Add me to the list as well!!! I have wrench skills, but not machining skills, if some one makes the part I will put it in mine first to try it out.

#38 ·
UPDATE!!! shift cam mod is finished!!! gotta get some testing done then we're set

please direct all future replies to the new thread:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91701

moderators can you please lock this thread? i'd like to keep the discussion in the new thread... thought it would be nice to bring this one back up in case anyone wanted to know the history to it (plus some members have subscribed to this thread).

'preciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.