Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Owner of a 2004 300 4x4, just looking for advice on what other owners do with these machines and longer term issue(s) to watch. As far as I know, mine is mechanically stock, the PO added one of those back seat things. Haven't ridden it a lot but it seems to ride ok for the times I have.

What kind of range can I expect for non-spirited riding? My primary use is for hunting and occasionally lending to a friend for work on his farm.

Is the diff lock mod done by a lot of other owners? What type of lifespan can I expect from things like CVs and other drivetrain components? Since my rig is already 15 years old, should I replace the carb for preventative medicine? Also notice that the body plastics buzz as the revs climb, this drives me nuts -- just a little! :D

Anyhow, just like to hear from other 300 4x4 owners with thoughts/experiences/advice!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I've got an 05 that I bought with 400 miles on it. I have gone 70 miles and never switched tank to reserve. It's a lot better on fuel than my 400 auto. I have never modified for diff lock and never had needed it. Axles last as these are not powerhouses like a 700 or 1000 playing in the mud. I have cleaned my carb and it's spotless. I do run only NON ETHANOL fuel and add a little Seafoam to each tank. I thought it was just mine that the plastics buzzed and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have replaced the rear lower control arm bushings as they deteriorated. RTR Custom Fab owned by ricktherocket who is a member on here supplies a better than OEM bushing. I also changed the shock bushings which are also superior to OEM. Overall it's been a great machine to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great to hear that it's been good on most counts, buzzing aside!! I may remove the plastics to see if I can't figure out where they're picking up vibrations. The carb on my machine is a bit suspect imo, it idles super high once warm and yes, the choke is all the way off. I never thought of using Seafoam in every tank, I will do that. Is tuning the carb difficult or is it mainly setting the idle mix?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Carbs are pretty simple but if your so inclined you should download a free service manual from Country Cat.com. Just an ounce of Seafoam in each tank is what I use. There is a idle adjustment knob on a 4” flexible cable. Maybe just adjust that to get idle down. Too high of an idle will make quad jump when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbs are pretty simple but if your so inclined you should download a free service manual from Country Cat.com. Just an ounce of Seafoam in each tank is what I use. There is a idle adjustment knob on a 4” flexible cable. Maybe just adjust that to get idle down. Too high of an idle will make quad jump when you put it in gear.

Yep, a friend showed me the idle adjustment knob and he turned down the idle with that. I thought that may not be the whole issue, I thought there might be something off with the idle mixture and the adjustment knob was simple compensation.

Could the idle mix be off and the adjuster used to compensate, or does it not work quite like that?? :D

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The low speed fuel screw is 2 1/4 turns out from factory. Start with that and adjust as needed along with idle adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts