Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Buddy of mine has a 2004 650 v2 with 300 miles on it. Before deer season in WV mid November he started it let it warm up drove it out the rd. and then it quit has not got it to start since he had to be pulled home. He has had it in shop 2 times cause it was hard to start butnot it is dead. I told him I was researching the problem have been looking at post here for last week and looks like it could be choke or dirty carbs not sure if it is firing or not but I suggested new plugs and may cleaning out carb may need to drain gas it had not been started for about 4-5 months before he started it this time. I was just wanting to see what other people on forum suggested before take it to shop. Thanks

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
First thing to do is check the engine for spark and inspect/clean your air filter. If you have spark, move on to the fuel system. If there's an in-line fuel filter, check it first. The V2 has two carbs and even if only one was working, the engine should run albeit roughly. It would seem to me that the engine isn't getting fuel. It might be necessary to drain the fuel out of the tank. If the machine has been sitting for a while, dirt and water should have settled to the bottom of the fuel tank. Carefully siphon some fuel from the lowest part of the tank into a clear container to see if you can detect water or debris in the fuel. If you have dirt/water in the fuel, the tank should be completely washed out. That will be tougher than it sounds unless you remove the tank from the machine. The next thing to check is the fuel pump and/or fuel **** vacuum valve. I don't own nor have worked on a V2 but I know it's a Kawasaki engine and I have knowledge of some Kawasaki fuel systems. If it has a vacuum controlled fuel valve, the diaphragm in the valve may be damaged. The valve will have to be pulled and the diaphragm inspected. There will be two lines to the fuel valve/fuel pump. One is for the fuel the other is for the vacuum. Disconnect both lines from the engine vacuum source and carburetors. The vacuum line will be attached to a vacuum source on th engine. Provide a source of vacuum to test the diaphragm (suck on the line). Once there is vacuum to the fuel valve turn the engine over to see if the fuel pump gets fuel to the carburetor fuel line. I believe the fuel pump on th V2 is also vacuum operated. Fuel should come out in an even flow. If you have good fuel supply to the carbs connect it back to the carburetors and see if it fires up and runs. If not, it's time to pull the float bowls off of the carbs to check for dirt/water and varnish. Clean them out and put them back together. Be careful with the float mechanism and make sure the float needles move freely. They work off of levers on the floats. When the floats drop, the needles open to allow fuel into the carb. As the fuel fills the bowl, the floats rise and close the needles. If everything is clean and working well, your carbs should be fine. If neither of you have sufficient mechanical knowledge, I strongly suggest you get a shop manual for the machine and maybe see if you can find a volunteer with some mechanical savvy to help you out. Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
yep like was said process of elimination. i usually start with the cheapest parts to look/inspect first.
plugs
airfilter
fuel filter, then carbs (drains on bottom)
choke cables

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Howdy over there in Roane Co. It sounds like maybe some old gas could have caused you some trouble The float bowls are easy to remove to see if ya got any gunkin there.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Mine recently had a problem that kept it from starting.

The choke cable was contaminated with crap & corrosion, it caused the fuel enrichening valves to stick open. This totally flooded the engine.

The choke cable corrosion was bad enough for the two cables (after the 2-1 splitter) to get stuck in the open position... The two springs didn't have enough pressure to overcome the corrosion in the choke cable and couldn't close the valves when the handlebar choke control was released. This let the fuel pressure flow freely into the carb causing the flooded condition.

When I removed the choke valves from the carbs, corrosion-crap from the choke cable had migrated all the way to the valves too. After a thorough cleaning and lubrication of the choke cable, it seemed to work freely again. After re-assembly, the engine fired right up!

I'm not saying the choke cable is your problem. But even if it isn't the cause of your current problem, dissassemble the choke cable system, clean it all, lube it thoroughly... Because even if it isn't the source of the problem today it needs the lube to prevent corrosion and future troubles.

:chug:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You may want to dump some sea foam in that gas. The gas these days is junk and it breaks down very quickly. VERY quickly. If it was sitting there for 4-5 months with no kind of stabilizer in it, that's likely your problem (if not in conjunction with other issues perhaps). Clean the carbs, run sea foam through it, check the air filter, and check spark.

Even if it's not the fuel being a problem, I'd still dump sea foam in the gas...every tank. Keeps gas good and carbs clean.

Another thing to make sure is that on his 04 when he trailers it anywhere, shut the fuel valve OFF. Failure to do that may flood out your carbs and cylinders, thus overflowing into the oil and overfilling the oil. Been there, done that. It can cause hydrolock as well. If that happens, you need to pull the plugs, turn the engine over to get that gas out, and change the oil, and clean out the airbox (typically some oil goes in there in this situation).

Keep us updated. If I were a betting man, I'd say the jets are varnished on the carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will let you know what I find out with it. May take me little while because it is snowing and cold here in West Virginia. I don't want to get a cold or flu and not be able to get out and play. Also it is trout stocking season so I will be on the water fishing when I can. Thanks for your replys will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my Buddy went and traded his 650 in today for a yamaha 660 rhino so he doesn't own a arctic cat anymore but I still like them and plan on buying one later this year. Thanks for all your help and I get alot of good info from this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts