Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles have you gotten out of your belts?

I have about 1500 miles on mine, it's all stock and ridden on forest service roads. no mudding. Ocasional boulder/log hopping if the road gets bad.

Am I about due for a replacement?

Will it give me any warning before it's too late?

Thanks

Martin

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You should get a belt light that comes on. After that many miles though, I'd hate to find out that you need a belt when you are miles from home. You may want to consider changing it for good measure?

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I've got 1200 miles on mine and will be replacing it with the new Goodyear belt this weekend and I'll put the old belt in the rack bag for a spare(just to be safe)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have 2600 miles on my 05 V2 and it is my original belt. I have had no problems at all but I will be buying a new belt to carry in my box for a spare but I don't plan on changing it until the original starts coming apart. I ride mostly mountain trails.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
if it's not slipping, smoking, or making any noises (thumping) i would take the cover off inspect for wear, proper tension (might need to take a shim out but mabey not) and keep on riding it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I normally change mine every year. This is likly excessive but makes me feel better that it has been done. Maybe a habit i got from years of snowmobieling, i would always change the belt every year. Cheap assurance in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
I'm still running the original stocker at nearly 3000 on the odo. It still has the squeal at idle so deflection is probably still good. This means the belt is probably within wear specs.

The 04 Arctic V2 was the first model year available, most complained about the belt blowing up, wearing out, and that the belt is garbage, etc.

After the first few miles, I told my dealer something's up, there's too much slip... He removed a shim from the secondary and the belt has been fine ever since.

So I've been planning on taking off the clutch cover this coming weekend for a yearly inspection. If the belt measures within spec as per shop manual, and the deflection is good, there is no reason for me to change it. Unless there are obvious signs of sidewall cracks, delamination, etc.

This original stock belt has lasted longer than I thought it would... Because in the early days I assumed lifespan would be short as it was for most of the other V2 owners that wrote about the stock belt here on ArcticChat.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobCat @ Mar 26 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've got 1200 miles on mine and will be replacing it with the new Goodyear belt this weekend and I'll put the old belt in the rack bag for a spare(just to be safe)[/b]
Any specs on it or a website you purchased it from?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 27 2007, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobCat @ Mar 26 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got 1200 miles on mine and will be replacing it with the new Goodyear belt this weekend and I'll put the old belt in the rack bag for a spare(just to be safe)[/b]
Any specs on it or a website you purchased it from?
[/b][/quote]

I got it from the girlfreind of a guy I work with, she works at an auto parts store. I got it for 50 bucks and a bottle of vodka (to say thanks)

I searched the internet and also found it at --motorcycle accessory warehouse-- not sure the web site address for sure, but if you google it, it will come up

It looks just like the stock belt, you can't see the carbon fiber at all

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
My opinion, in line with others, is to just inspect it, check tension and if all looks good put the cover back on and enjoy more miles on the belt. Carrying a spare isn't a bad idea as well as knowing how to change it on the trail.

Funny thing, on the way home from work tonight I was thinking of all the horror stories of belt issues that seem to be perpetuated on the net. If your belt is tensioned properly, you pay attention to being stuck, your belt will last a long time. I have towed some things with my machine that I probably shouldn't have with the stock belt tension and never had any issues.

Be smart about your belt and you won't have any issues, it boils down to that. Then smile real big when you tear off down the road leaving everyone behind that insists your V2 belt system keeps your machine from being a real ATV.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I tell ya, I want to get one of these to try.....>>>><<<<

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 27 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I tell ya, I want to get one of these to try.....>>>><<<<[/b]

Hmmmmmmm, maybe my front push bar, synthetic rope and different tires for my boys machines will have to wait. naughty

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 27 2007, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Looks good to me, I wonder if you can still use the stock belt??? not a bad price either :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 27 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's the clutch I wrote about last year. I'm going to switch to it... The primitive Kawi primary clutch is IMO not allowing full potential to get to the wheels. A great source of slip in stock form too. Shouldn't have to tune for stock power.

The HPQ looks just like a smaller diameter of the old Comet 102C we used to run on some of the old sleds in the 80's. An excellent clutch, easy to tune with conventional weights & springs. Hope the HPQ can use conventional tuning parts too.

Also have been considering an Invance secondary. The Kawi secondary must've been designed by engineers from the 60's. :lol:

It's just an opinion. Not trying to offend Kawi lovers. Just trying to get the most out of mine.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
AG let us know if and when you do that, it sounds like something I might want to do

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobCat @ Mar 28 2007, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
AG let us know if and when you do that, it sounds like something I might want to do[/b]
Will do!

Interesting thing... If I sell the OEM clutches, they will help fund the new stuff.

Don't know if they're worth much, might be better to keep them as spares or 'put-ons' when the time to sell the ATV happens.

Also, Kawasaki's KEBC engine braking system (crap on top of the clutch cover) will be rendered non-functional with the use of the HPQ clutch. So what I'm going to do is get the Kawi BF750 clutch cover and do away with all those useless parts. I might be able to sell it as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts