Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After another season of no snow Ive decided to get an ATV, and we always had great luck w/ our Cat sleds, I decided to go w/ a Cat 4 wheeler. The one Im looking at is a 2004 650 V Twin. It has very low mileage, and seems to offer everything Id need to use it to work on my land. Before I spend the money I thought Id ask you folks what your opinions / experiences have been w/ this rig. This site has always been very helpful w/ our sleds, so Im asking for your help on this. Any opinions, experiences, knowledge good or bad would really be appreciated. From what little Ive found on the net this seems like a pretty durable unit, but I need your help before I make the buy. Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
04 v2's are good machines but had a few issues.
limp mode for the belt, rf filter was/is needed to be installed
broken frames, not all but several have had this issue with the 04's
proper belt spec ( many were/are on the loose side which would lead to belt issues, ie; limp mode)

use low range for majourty of riding, less stress on motor, clutches, and belt.

imo if you are looking for a utility ac not a sport utility i would look more twards the 500 (auto or manual) or 650 h1/400's before the v2.

i love my 05 v2 but for mostly work i hop on my wifes 04 500 auto and let the 650 sit.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I can tell you 1 thing for sure do most of your riding in low gear unless you plan on changing belts often as they will burn up riding in high. I have the 06 650v2 which is supposed to be easier on the belts because I believe they geared it lower than the 04 but I still ride in low 99% of the time and have had no issues. This is probably the #1 issue with the 04-05 650v2's.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Now don't scare him away guys, the 04 is fantastic, in fact it is far better than the 05 and 06 versions. As for the belt, I have never smoked my belt, although I do ride all the time in low unless on roads.
The limp mode is simple enough to fix anyways, just make sure you have a paperclip with ya or somewhere on the machine, unless the belt does get bad, it usually just has to be cleared. If it is out of warrenty you can always put in a aftermarket box (copperhead box) and that eliminates the entire problem as well.

The 04 has the best floorboards out of all the 650's, that is once you cut the peg things off
The body on the 04 is better, because if you break the outside edge by hitting it on anything, you can buy the outside peice instead of the whole rear or front section.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Yeah, Houleigan's right... Love the 04 floorboards after the peg is gone.

I fly this thing on 100 mile rides standing the whole way, nice solid slip-free footing.

Amazing what a $10 door mat can do! :lol:

Here's a look at 27x9x14R wheels:

:chug:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
One thing to note that is VERY distinct about the V2's is that their low gear is still geared pretty high. You can safely go 45-50mph in low. And even with it's high gearing, it still has tons of power for pulling and such. As stated, just make sure the belt is good and tight and you're set.

I think the frame issue isn't as bad as many think. Some had broken frames, yes. HOwever, I don't know that the number of bad frames vs. the number of "good" frames is close.

I had one (just sold it) and loved it to death. Why did I sell it? I really wanted an H1 since they came out, and I had an opportunity to buy one from Catterman, so I did.

If you get it, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I have no problems with my 04 650 just get that belt tight,a moose module and you'll be set. The other mods can wait if your budget tells you so.
Kenny

·
Registered
287 Posts
i really liked my 04 650 v-2.i was really depressed when the frame issue came about.all the other thing's mentioned here,belt tension,limp mode,choke sticking,fuel shut off when trailering,,all minor fun tinkering stuff.the frame was a major issue for me.i have some nice clear disguisting pic's of my 04 frame at request.it was a awesome bike.zero issues with my 06 v-2.....al.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a 05 650 v2 I love it I put the moose module and a cluthc kit on it and in low range It works great. I have smoked the belt but I checked it just 2 wks ago and it is in specs. I wont sell it I just love it. How much are they asking for it.

I seen one on ebay starting bid was $450.00 may want to take a look at it I think it has 1800 miles on it. Good luck with your purchas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts