Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Wondering if any ideas why my fan is now coming on so frequently. I am quite sure I cleaned the rad well before winter, and why would it be coming on in -20c weather?
Any ideas??? Oh and i check the fluid level in both rad and overflow bottle and seems ok

thank you again

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Not sure what you're problem is CrashinIt, but I have heard some people on here actually removing the rad to clean it thoroughly. Most people think they clean it pretty well but the mud etc gets packed in those fins on the rad and then "cooks" in there making it quite difficult to remove.

Any chance that your thermostat is sticking??

Just a couple of ideas to check out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just FYI my 04 V2 I bought as new a month ago, and the fan comes on quite often w/ mine and that's at 10-20 degrees out. The good news is it only stays on for less than a minute. Havent had the over temp idiot light come on, and havent had any antifreeze spillover, and all levels are good, so Im assumming it's a normal condition. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I think its common for the new bikes to run the fans a little more. I agree that you probably need to clean it out a little better. I thought mine was clean until I removed the fan and front rad cover and was able to get about a pound of sand out of it.

WC

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Does it come on only when the machine is running but not moving? If it comes on while at speed, you may have an issue with stuck thermostat or clogged rad. Also, when you clean your rad, you should try to blow the dirt foward through the front of the rad rather than trying to force it through to the back. Get behind the rad a wash forward. Now if your machine's fan is only coming on while the machine is either sitting still or moving slowly don't sweat it. I'd rather having it coming on than not. That tells you your engine is up to proper operating temperature which is much better than running it cold.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, I posted the same problem last year some time. What I did was removed my winch and pressured washed the rad and then removed all the fluid and put some special fluid in and then some prestone. I cant remember what the "special" stuff was called but they use it on race cars to keep them cool.
My quad actually over heated when i was riding so i was a little nervous too.
It's been pretty good now other than my 2wd/4wd swith got mud on it and didn't work properly untill i got home from my trip and washed it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
had same problem but overheated mud was packed in rad, had to remove soak and used acid then pressure washed carefully

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Water Wetter is the special coolant, but I hear it doesn't work all that well in the winter conditions for us northerners.

I agree with what others have stated in that your radiator is likely plugged a bit. The front of it may look totally clean, but people typically find all sorts of crud between the back of the radiator and the shroud....right where you can't get to with a hose. Check that out boss and I bet you find your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts