Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that the 04 440 sno pro had a hot start feature integrated into the electronic ignition, which retards the timing significantly to heat the exhaust pipe just before takeoff. I have a 04 and cannot seem to figure out where this button is supposed to be or is at. I bought a 2004 Service manual and of course it has nothing in it about the 440. The sled will start fine but then a few seconds after running it starts missing really bad and opening the throttle causes backfiring. If the engine has not been run for a long time it will idle normally for a minute or two then start running like crap. If its still warm it will start running like crap withing 5 seconds of start up. I have called all over trying to get some wiring diagrams or some information on how this hot start feature operates. I think the ignition module is in this hot start mode but am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I did a little research for you and found this in an old amsnow.com article about the then new race sled

"One big engine related change is the inclusion of a hot start button. The concept was originally developed in 1996. It is mounted on the handlebars, and when activated, allows a timing map in the CDI ignition system to create heat in the pipe. A temperature limit function keeps the pipe at the optimal start temperature for take-offs. "

So the button should be mounted on the handlebars according to this article. Polaris got sued over this feature...on their Pro-X of the same era they had the "Dragon Button" which infringed on an Arctic Cat patent.

It sounds like you are missing the button!

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
It is my understanding that the 04 440 sno pro had a hot start feature integrated into the electronic ignition, which retards the timing significantly to heat the exhaust pipe just before takeoff. I have a 04 and cannot seem to figure out where this button is supposed to be or is at. I bought a 2004 Service manual and of course it has nothing in it about the 440. The sled will start fine but then a few seconds after running it starts missing really bad and opening the throttle causes backfiring. If the engine has not been run for a long time it will idle normally for a minute or two then start running like crap. If its still warm it will start running like crap withing 5 seconds of start up. I have called all over trying to get some wiring diagrams or some information on how this hot start feature operates. I think the ignition module is in this hot start mode but am not 100% sure.

The hot start button is mounted on the handle bar next to the master cylinder for the brake. Most people un plug it and get rid of the button to disable it. The system is hard on reeds. the 2004 performance manual is what you need for that sled. I doubt the button is your problem as it will not work if the button is not there. You didnt hook some random wires together did you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts